Ramblin Rooster

Hatchaholic
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
Fairfield, Connecticut
Hello Duck Folks!

Yesterday at Notheastern Poultry Congress
love.gif
I purchased these two Pekin ducks (whom were labeled Runner ducks) and seem to be females. Here are my questions for you guys:

How can I make them feel at home and happy?

How can I get them to eat their layer pellets? They do not seem to be eating at all!
idunno.gif

What is the best way to get them to be less scared of everything, especially us humans?

Thank you guys SO MUCH for helping out! I have done my research on duck keeping but if there is anything that I should definitely know please share!
bow.gif

Ramblin Rooster
D.gif

Thats so funny. My first ducks were labeled Pekin but they turned out to be runners. When I got them they were little and yellow and when they started getting the fawn color on their cheeks I thought they were dirty.
Your ducks look nice and healthy and two is a good number to have if you want to tame them. I like to give them small amounts of peas or sunflower seeds. I use a cat pan for water so they can clean up in it. I think you'll love them.

I found just handling them and spending time with them worked with my Pekins. My guys aren't completely tame though as in they won't come if you call them without vegie scraps lol. They are very pretty girls. Maybe just give them some time to settle in with the whole eating thing, they are probably a bit stressed, how long have you had them? As long as they are drinking they should be ok for a short while with out food. My Pekins favourite food is watermelon and any type of vegies. Maybe try them on that? They do also love just wandering and eating grass and digging around with their bills.

Update: I have since gotten them to eat lots of Lettuce and we have held them a half a dozen times for about 5 minutes at a time since receiving them
yesterday afternoon. They are pretty healthy looking to me and they are very docile once you are able to catch them.

Thanks for the help, friends!

Please send regular updates! I would add some poultry vitamins to their water twice a week till they start eating more regularly, then maybe every couple of weeks till full grown.

Ahhhdorable!

Hand feeding them treats will help with trust development and try putting their pellets in some water. Either to just get them soggy or just till a little film of water covers the pellets. No need to grind down the pellets they are pretty absorbent. Naming them and calling that name when you make contact with that duck is good too. Also spending quality time with them as well.

They seem to be in a small enclosure.
Find a non poopy spot and just sit in there with them. Bring in some peas and give them some and leave some next to you. Just let them hang out with no attempts to pet/hold/pick them up.

Once they are settled in a bit (couple of days), then you can start handling them more.

They seem to be in a small enclosure.
Find a non poopy spot and just sit in there with them. Bring in some peas and give them some and leave some next to you. Just let them hang out with no attempts to pet/hold/pick them up.

Once they are settled in a bit (couple of days), then you can start handling them more.
That is their quarantine area it's an 8 x 10' wooden box about 3' tall. It is only until quarantine period is over then they will join large fowl flock where they will live with 50+ chickens. They are allowed into sheep paddock during the day and also swimming in a big water tub (see below) which they enjoyed. Still get a little freaked out when we are within 10 feet though.

Back
Top Bottom