Help new flock members!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by imogene08, Nov 30, 2013.

1. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    I have two EE pullets I got a few weeks ago and they just don't seem to understand what calm down means.I have had them in a small coop inside the other and my hens and roo where fine but as soon as we bring them out..they scream and run around and that makes my chicken angry and they attack even my rooster.Im not sure what to do I have marks and scratches where my hens have try to attack them but got me instead.What should I do to get this chickens to calm down and actually defend themselves?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    How much space do they have when you put them together? The larger the space generally the less problems. The ones that are backing down can get away so the others know they are backing down. With less space they may not be able to run far enough. I generally like to let them free range when I do introductions.

3. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Sadly I can not let them free range :/ .They have plenty room to run away and enough spaces to hide but even if a hen comes close to them they freak out.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I think you're just going to have to let them work it out. They need to establish their pecking order, and they can't do that when you're getting in there (I'm assuming that's what's happening if you're getting pecked and scratched) and interfering. If they have plenty of room and hiding places, let the pullets out and leave them alone. Watch and make sure there isn't too much bloodshed if you're worried about it.

5. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    That's what happens the last time they pulled all the tail feather and it was a mess.Had to break them up because they where just trying to rip away the feathers.

6. loversday002

loversday002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Pine Bush, New York
    if i were you id put chicken wire and split your coop! keep the misbehaving ones on the side of the chickenwire that cant leave the coop. the chickens will see eachother and adventuallly will stop it may take a week though

7. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    The two pullets are in a seperate cage inside the coop.They can still see each other maybe this weekend I will let them out.It really stresses the pullets and the flock so I don't wanna rush it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by