Help! New hatch -bleeding and chirping

Enealey

Hatching
Dec 13, 2021
Please help! This is my first time hatching eggs and the baby chick just came out of its shell about an hour ago.
The chick was bleeding on his bottom or abdomen (not sure). So I applied corn starch.
I have an auto egg incubator whose fan is making a lot of noise and occasionally short circuited.
He had been desperately chirping non stop and hobbling around the incubator. I just feel something is wrong.

He must be exhausted from hatching all night, except he won't rest.

Pictures please!

It is normal for them to be noisy and wobbling/flopping around, in my experience. It’s their first time using their legs to support their weight.
As for the bleeding, pictures would be very helpful. I’m not too experienced with the part of the abdomen where they are attached to the egg but I will try to help. Is it still bleeding? I would put clotting power on it for now. If I can’t help, I’ll at least try to bring attention to this thread. How is the baby doing?

Put corn starch on the spot where it's bleeding. Here is a pic of my helped hatch. Corn starch (potato starch works good as well)

The chick survived and It's 6 weeks old now. The assist was (I think) unnecessary but I was really woried because It was an only survivor out of 10 eggs!

Attachments

• IMG_20211030_161921.jpg
    IMG_20211030_161921.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 28
Pictures please!

It is normal for them to be noisy and wobbling/flopping around, in my experience. It’s their first time using their legs to support their weight.
As for the bleeding, pictures would be very helpful. I’m not too experienced with the part of the abdomen where they are attached to the egg but I will try to help. Is it still bleeding? I would put clotting power on it for now. If I can’t help, I’ll at least try to bring attention to this thread. How is the baby doing?
Thank you so much! This was so helpful. Its my first time hatching, so I wasn't sure what to expect and what is/isn't normal.

I used cornstarch and the bleeding stopped.
As for the wobbly legs... that makes sense. He seems healthy, curious and is running around more normally now. He's doing great! I'm so relieved.
Thank you for your support and help!

Attachments

• IMG_20211213_165915.jpg
    IMG_20211213_165915.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I have the same issue. First chick out is bleeding from its butt area. I attached a photo. Do I have to do anything or is this normal? First time hatching eggs too......

Attachments

• chick butt.jpeg
    chick butt.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 22
It is common for first time hatchers to help (Not trying to shame, it just happens). Bloody belly button happens when you help too soon. Sit on your hands until a pipped egg has done nothing for 24 hrs.
I haven't helped at all I won't open that incubator because I don't want anything to happen to the other pipped eggs. I now have three out of the eggs and one on the way out. Thanks again for the help.

I have the same issue. First chick out is bleeding from its butt area. I attached a photo. Do I have to do anything or is this normal? First time hatching eggs too......
Hi
You could put a bit of corn starch on it. I had the same happen with one of my chicks. I just really quickly took it out. It didn’t affect my pipped eggs. Just be sure it is dried out and fluffy so it doesn’t catch a chill. I’m sure if you don’t want to open your incubator the chick will be fine until the others have hatched. Just monitor it, and check it is not getting worse or other chicks are pecking it.

Back
Top Bottom