HELP! New owner with possible Egg Bound

abbeymc

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
Liverpool, England
I have recently adopted three of my uncles chickens

I think one is egg bound!

I have had them for 5 days now and I noticed yesterday that one of them seems very lethargic and sleepy and seems to be keeping to herself and not walking much!

She has had a small bit to eat but seems to be drinking a lot, she had a very messy bottom (which I have now cleaned) no unusual colour but does seem very runny

Her abdomen is very swollen and I can feel an egg inside!! She is quite and sleeps standing up!

I gave her a bath in warm water. I gently massaged the vent area with Vaseline but no egg yet!! She is my favourite out of the hens and I have bonded quickly so I will be heartbroken if I lose her!! Please help!!! :(

Try holding a warm moist towel on her bottom. Lubricate vent area with warm soapy water. Can you see the egg yet?
Hope it all turns out well

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...is-how-did-it-happen-what-do-i-do-about-it/40

Post 49. This about a goose but i have used the same treatment for ducks and chickens. If you have no prolapse, you shouldn't need the vitamin E. Just the calcium with D. Last week, 3 doses of the Calcium with D for a Mallard duck and a couple of baths. She passed her egg and is now back with the rest of the flock. Good luck!

:( hi I'm new here...I too lost a chicken yesterday, I think she was egg bound.she was 2 years old...as all my chickens are..I had 6 ..now 5,
She had not laid an egg for about 2 weeks, she had a prolapse about 3months ago, we cleaned her and put honey on her butt and pushed it back in. She was fine for a while laid a few eggs, and then nothing. She was eating and drinking and doing chicken things. Then yesterday morning I found her in a nesting box dead..it looks like she had been in there all night...not roosting.
I also have another one that has that hasn't laid for about the same amount of time...she wasn't prolapse. I thought she came out in sympathy with her. But I noticed today that her belly is a bit swollen and soft. Still acting like a chicken. They free range all day. Any advice please :rolleyes:

If she is egg bound you can try giving her calcium. Even a human calcium pill might be enough to get her to lay.the vet will give a egg bound hen a shot of calcium gluconate to stimulate her to lay. If you can't get the calcium injectable then give human calcium. Also you might want to check her vent for any discharge if her belly is swollen she could be laying internally. If you think she's only egg bound you might see if she can tolerate a warm bath to help relax her muscles. I wish you the best and hope she gets better.

Back
Top Bottom