Daolin

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 6, 2011
St. Augustine, FL
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Ameracauna, approximately 10 weeks, no clue on weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Normal behavior that we can tell, but the first one developed a runny eye (looks like spit bubbles) clear liquid and she seems to be sneezing
Now it appears 2 more have the same runny eye

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
We just bought them yesterday afternoon and shortly after we got her home she had it

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Yes, 2 more out of a total of 4

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing other then we transported all 4 of them in a small dog carrier for 50 minutes

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
They are drinking perfectly fine and eating the started chick feed the guy gave us (I think he said quail starter feed because it had more protein)

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I've noticed some pretty runny poop in the cage one looked almost entire watery and the other was yellow runny

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
We put some antibiotic eye drops in their eyes my wife had left over for her eye infection and we just mixed up a little duramycin-10 and gave that to them in the water as the feed store guy recommended (we put 3/4 tsp in 1 quart of water)

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Completely ourself we don't have much money

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
They came from a place that seemed decent, dirt floor and hay for bedding. Right now they are in a run I built with a dirt floor. They haven't been getting inside the coop they have been in the run the entire time. Inside the coop we put down oak leaves for the bedding.

Please help
smile.png

Thanks
Todd

We are hoping

Any change in their eyes since putting in the medicated eye ointment? also be sure never to use anything on chickens that has pain relief in it that ends in caine.
was the runny poo in the carrier you transported them in, if so that was probably from the stress of the ride. how does their poo look now? also if you are giving antibiotics you should also give some kind of probiotics along with it and for at least 3 days after the treatment ends, antibiotics kill good bacteria along with the bad so to keep them from getting upset stomach. how did their other chickens look. did you know the people you got them from?

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses thus far
smile.png

I did not know the people, I met them through craigslist. he had about 20 chickens and

I checked on them a bit ago and they are all resting in the coop, nothing out of the ordinary, they still look fine. I didn't notice any diarrhea but I didn't look in depth since it is dark out.

I only gave 3 doses to one bird and 1 dose to the other 2 and haven't noticed a change good or bad in any of them. Also how long should I give them the eye drops and should I put neosporin on their eyes as well?

What type of probiotics would you recommend? And how long should I give them the duramycin?

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone had some further input. From what I read all over the web they could have any number of different things. All of our hens are still acting normal, but still have a watery discharge.

If they do have CPD will it last forever, will I always have to treat them?

Will we be able to eat their eggs if we d not have to treat them?

Back
Top Bottom