HELP! New to all of this! Baby Cakes for Chicks and Start and Grow

My11BabyChicks

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Ringwood
I am new to this forum but have found it helpful even before joining. I am hoping someone may be able to help me with 2 questions I have.

1. Is there a difference/preference in Purina Start and Grow(non medicated) to Purina Start and Grow Medicated?
2. Has anyone used the baby cakes for chicks? I currently have a brooder set up and was thinking about getting one.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

1. from the purina web site: Purina Mills
00ae.png
Start & Grow
00ae.png
SunFresh
00ae.png
Recipe is intended for layer chicks and should be fed from the time they hatch until they are ready to lay at about 20 weeks of age. Start & Grow
00ae.png
is a complete feed containing all the proper nutrients to grow healthy chicks and comes in the form of crumbled pellets (etts). Start & Grow
00ae.png
Medicated can be fed to chicks until 8 weeks of age to prevent coccidiosis.
2. I have not

Medicated vs. Non medicated chick starter - usually the only difference is the presence of medication (usually deccox or amprolium) which is a coccidiostat. This medication helps prevent coccidiosis, which is the leading cause of death in chicks
There are a couple of reasons why you would feed medicated feed rather than non-medicated:
1. If you are feeding in a hot, humid climate
2. If you are brooding large batches of chicks
3. If you are brooding one batch of chicks right after another
4. If you are not going to be diligent about cleaning and sanitizing

The baby cakes are helpful in that they give chicks something (other than each other) to peck at. I haven't used them personally but have seen other people using them and the chicks really go after them - typically eat them rather quickly.
I hope this helps you!
caf.gif

Personally I haven't used the Purina brand we buy local feed store brand... I prefer to use non-medicated feed myself but that's how we try to do all of our animals when possible (we raise pigs, also and have gots, etc...) I have used the baby cakes my bantams were afraid of it (hahaha- wouldn't touch it) so I gave it to my standards they ate it overnight (I have 87 of them)! Will probably get one again I just used it as a treat and I try to intorduce them to new things and change up their brooder layout, etc... just to keep things interesting for them!

I used the baby cake. For a week they pecked at it abit but not making much of a dent. The next week they must have gotten stronger cause they ate it up rapidly after that. They are $9.99 in my area so I won't be getting anymore. Mine never had any issues with pecking at each other so far.

Back
Top Bottom