HELP!! New to chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by polishlover98, Oct 18, 2015.

1. polishlover98

polishlover98 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2015
    Hi everyone i am a 4-her from southern Florida, although it is normally hot and humid the last two days it has been drier and a tad cooler. When i went out to my coop one of my polish pullets was breathing heavily through her mouth and making a sound from time to time, the best way i could describe it would be the noise from a rubber chicken. Being new I am so lost as to what to do; she is eating, drinking and running around normally but the sound she is making has me concerned. Any knowledge would help!!
    Thank you

2. BeachMomma

BeachMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2015
    NC
    It could possibly be a respiratory issue but if she's acting normally otherwise then you may need to wait if anything changes. Giving her some electrolytes in the water is always a good place to start.

A few questions that are normally asked to get a better idea of your situation.
    °Is the coop clean and is there proper ventilation?
    °How many other chickens do you have, if so are others doing the same?
    °Is her poop normal?
    °What type of food & treats?

3. polishlover98

polishlover98 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2015
    1)Yes the coop is clean and gets a thorough cleaning once a week, and it is mostly open air except for their roost.
    2)I have nine others not including her, and no they are acting completely normal
    3)Yes her poop is normal and i separated her for a bit to make sure
    4)And the treats they get are things like: tomatoes, marigolds, squash, carrots, cucumbers,eggs etc. but food wise they receive Purina starter/ grower(non-medicated) and they get a bit of ultra kibble for protein

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by