HELP..New..what to feed ?

mljohnson05

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Missouri
OK, so I am new and so I know this will sound dumb...so sorry in advance
tongue.png

First off I have 4 bantam chicks (pullet- red Cochin, Pullet- porcelain d'uccle, Pullet- Silver Sebright and a ROO- OEG)
I CANNOT separate them to feed because they are all so attached to each other and scream none stop if I do.
They are 5 Weeks Old right now and have been on starter/Grower Crumbles....They also go outside when it is warm to roam and forge.
My Questions are
1. What SHOULD I feed them (I know the Roo does not really need what the pullets do, but I Will not be separating them)?
2. At what age should I change their food and how (IE. Transition or "cold Turkey)?
3. I give them "treats" right now (not sure if I should) and what treats are OK to give the small Bantams?
4. Do I need "Grit" ans what type?

And then any other tips you all can give me is great....THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance...and again sorry for the "what should be simple" and dumb question
hugs.gif

Here is a Pic of all 4 together, just cause I love them all so much and want to share
love.gif

92090_157_5900.jpg

1. they can remain on grower / starter until they start laying.

2. gradually add a layer feed until you are all layer feed. but there is nothing wrong with keeping them on a high protein diet (correct me if wrong, fellow BYC's)

3. Treats! Heck yeah! cooked rice, pasta, yogurt, even a scrambled egg, grits, corn on the cobb, cooked outmeal (or dry), fruits, greens, popcorn

4. If they forage themselves they will find the grit they need. I do supplment a little. I will throw out some gravel with some treats.

5. TREATS! they will love you and follow you everywhere.

and they are as cute as can be - congrats!

Thank You...I am found of them, this is not their best shot, but only group pic I have, I could share pics ALL DAY
gig.gif

Not sure if this was good for them , but it was SOOOO HOT out today that i made a cold fruit smoothie and gave them some...they loved it though...lol
love.gif

Here is more pics...sorry I cannot help myself...lol
92090_157_5908.jpg
92090_157_5902.jpg
92090_157_5912.jpg

yippiechickie.gif
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif
love.gif

Quote:
YUP he is my only Roo...the rest are Pullets....(as far as I know) Just want to make sure I feed the right, so taking any advice
big_smile.png

Good questions! I wish i had read this thread before i asked basicly the same questions in another post.
hmm.png

I have 3 adult reds that came to us already grown. Now i have 10 4 week old pullets, and im like a new mom worrying about them. I cant help it, im madly in love!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom