Help! Newcomer to raising ducks!

Biscuitchicken

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 17, 2014
I started out with chickens last year. I plan on adding about 6 chickens to my flock, which I will put in a brooder. I also have a broody Copper Maran hen sitting on 9 eggs in the nest box inside the coop.

I've decided that I enjoy the chickens so much that I want to add a small flock of ducks as well. I have a small pond about 30 yards from chicken coop, so initial plan is once the ducks are old enough to go outside, they can sleep in a small box or doghouse on the ground inside the chicken run.

My biggest question is the basics of raising the ducks. I have pretty much settled on how to make my brooder and plan on doing that this evening. I saw a really good post a couple days ago on here which seemed to detail everything. Brooder needs, water, feed, all the way until they are released to the coop and water! I just can't find it now!

I would appreciate if anyone is familiar with this link to point me in the right direction, or if anyone knows the basics to let me know!

Thanks!

There is also The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook. It is targeted more toward pet ducks. The new edition has a full section on medical concerns with illustrations of the different systems of a duck's body - cardiovascular, endocrine, skeletal . . . . I have a copy. Storey's Guide got me started, though, and between that and BYC Duck Forum, really really got us off on the right foot, I feel.

Thanks! I'll check that out! I picked up my 4 ducks and 6 chicks yesterday and they are in their new home. Still working on getting a watering solution down for the ducks. First I had a just a tray in there while I got them all set up. Then i took a plastic butter bowl and cut 2 (what I thought) small holes. I was going to use that for the water container. Well, when I checked on them this morning, they were jumping in and out of the small holes!

Back
Top Bottom