HELP -- newly hatched chick keeps flipping over

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bspitts, Oct 17, 2011.

1. bspitts

bspitts Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2010
    southern illinois
    newly hatched (since i was home at 1pm for lunch) serama chick keeps flipping over on back and laying there?? have had a couple in years past do this but did not have the forum. couple others in incubator seem ok. any help or thought would be appreciated

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Not an expert but this sounds like a neurological problem and can't be cured. Others will chime in though, what do I know, I read books as well as raise chickens. [​IMG]

3. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    i have had them do this, i just keep turning them back over they eventually grow out of it , i dont know why or if it is something wrong.

4. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I had one that hatched last week that did that. Within a few hours it stopped - and she is up and about with all of the rest of them. Hopefully within a couple of hours yours will be fine - good luck!

5. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    I've had them do that, too. Usually its just because they haven't had a chance to learn anything yet. I bet you fell on your backside more than once when you were learning to walk![​IMG]

6. bspitts

bspitts Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2010
    southern illinois
    thanks for all replies, he seems to have his wheels on straight now and yes i did my fair share of falling on my back side-- still do:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by