HELP! Newly Hatched Gosling can't pick head up. Video Included!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kelseygirl707, May 23, 2010.

1. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Hey guys,

You may have seen my post earlier about my Goslings eyes, and that problem isn't 100%, but it's better. My problem now is that it can't pick it's head up. In the video you will see it trying it's hardest to fling it's head up, but it just can't hold it there. I had the baby in my shirt for a while today, where I was able to prop it's head up against me. I gave it a couple of swallows of Sugar water earlier, but the poor baby can't possibly be comfortable, and can't eat or drink on it's own. I know I am going to hear a lot of "Give it time" and I will, but is there anything I can do to help it? I had it's sibling in the chick brooder, but brought it over to be with this baby, once I took it out of the incubator. In the Video, that is the healthy one making the racket, it was mad I took it from it's chick friends.

Here is the Video.

2. Xodrana

Xodrana Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Poor sweet little baby. I don't know anything to do for him or her but i am sending loving thoughts and hugs. I hope the little sweetheart gets better.

3. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    I didn't see your other post, but could you give some background on the baby? How old is s/he and did s/he hatch with this problem or develop it later? Are his/her legs or other body parts affected? Was there anything notable about the incubation period or hatching? One suggestion is to join the geese-as-pets Yahoo group and post your video and questions there: http://pets.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/Geese-As-Pets/. There are some very knowledgeable geese folks over there who might have a better handle on this. Another thought is to try contacting Dave Holderread (the waterfowl expert) by email through his website: http://www.holderreadfarm.com/.

I
    will be praying and sending positive thoughts your way!

4. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Aawwhh in the video it looks like the well duck is trying to help his little buddy. I just want to hold him. I have no idea on how to help but I do not think giving vitamins and electrolytes would do more damage at this point, but like I said I have no idea. Maybe if you post more info someone will be able to help. So sorry!

5. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Ok, here's some more info.

It hatched on Saturday, but layed half way out of it's shell until Sunday, then it finally came the rest of the way out of the shell. It's doesn't walk, but I don't think it's legs are effected, as it does that running in air thing when I pick it up. I think it's head just puts it off balance, so it can't stand up. It was a good incubation, but bad shipping. When I received the egg it was cracked from top to bottom, but the membrane was intact, so I sealed it in wax, and set it anyway. It's eyes were worrying me, as the eyelids didn't line up over the eyeball at all, and they kept gooping up with it's down that it lost in it's eye, but this morning that seems 100 times better, but it still can't pick up it's head. It's sibling lays next to it, so it can prop it's head on it, and I try to lay it next to the box wall, so I can prop it's head up on the wall. I was thinking I could try vitamins, but I don't know what kind and how much.

Thanks for your help. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  6. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Polyvisol baby vitamins. One drop into its mouth. Make sure that you get the kind without the iron. I'm trying to remember how often to put the drop in its mouth but I'll see where I wrote it down and let you know.

As for propping its head up, get a small to medium sized stuffed animal and put it close to it. I've had to do that with chicks, ducks, and geese.

I'll be back once I find my notes.

Laurie

7. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Ok, just picked up the Poly-Vi-Sol without Iron. Wish me luck! [​IMG]

8. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    [​IMG] Good Luck! [​IMG]

9. Mom of Sebs

Mom of Sebs New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    Hi i have a gosling born 20 hours ago who has the same problem. You suggested to the other person polysolible baby vitamins without iron. How much and how often do I give them and how long before I should see results.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by