HELP! Nigerian vs. Nubian???

chickylou

Songster
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
Valparaiso
I really need help.

I have two opportunities one would be Nigerian Dwarfs and the other Nubians. Here is my situation and PLEASE GIVE COUNSEL!
smile.png

1) We are a family that wants one or two milking goats for consumption not breeding. Basically, your backyard two goats and chickens for family use and to give as gifts to others.

2) We have a spot for goats, but we really wanted a small breed that could still give good milk. I wanted a "kinder goat", but in order to do that you need a nubian to mate with a buck pygmy. Thus the desire for a Nubian doe. We have the opportunity to get a Nubian doe that is unregistered for $175. BUT!!! She comes alone and we have no other goats until we can mate her and wait for her to have babies.

3) Now, we found an opportunity to get two Nigerian milking goats which already have milk and no babies. This person would give me some supplies as well. So now I'd have two but I'm afraid of the learning curve sooooo quickly.

What is the wisest thing to do?

We like the smallness of the Nigerians, but they say the milk of the Nubian is better.

Which do you recommend?

Thanks for anything!
smile.png

My opinion is that Nigerian Milk is alot richer than Nubian. The Nigerians will also eat less. I love both NIgerians and Nubians...but my Nigerians are soooo much easier to care for, and each goat can give us about a half gallon a day.

my opinion.. nubians have the best milk and are SO MUCH EASIER to MILK.... i guess my hands are too big or something, but i can not milk those small breeds,, nubians have larger teets and udders..
the extra buckling have more meat on nubians than dwarfs..
they seam to eat just about the amount of feed to me!!! so why not get more milk..
also depend on how MUCH milk you need.. most of my nubians gave almost 2 gallons a day.. if i am gonna wake up at dawn and take the time to milk twice a day i better get a lot of milk....
my personall exper. owning and milking both breeds... NUBIANS are better

and all of my nubians we more coopertive and smarter.... they would run to the milkingstand and JUMP on it and wait for me to catch up...
the nigerians,, i would have to drag and lift up to the milking stand

First, you need to actually milk the two Nigis. See if you can do it with the size of their teats and your hand. Also, all Nigis aren't bred for milk production so you want to check their udders and the size of the orifices to see how easy it will be to milk them. Find out how much milk they are giving now. If they only give a cup or two a day you probably don't want to mess with them.

Ideally you'd want to do the same with the Nubian but since she's not in milk the best you can do is see her mother and check out her udder; if possible.

I'd say that if you really like the Nigis after milking them - go for it and bring them home. You can milk them a few times at their current owners so you can learn from that person.

It would be unfair to the Nubian to have her alone for close to a year. She won't likely come into heat until August and that would her freshen in January. Would you be prepared for winter kids?

I have both Nigis and Nubian. I milk my Nubian - love milking her big teats and get over a gallon of milk a day after freshening. My Nigis aren't old enough to breed until next year so I don't have hands on experience with milking them yet. But, their antics keep us laughing daily.

yup.. i milked one of my sisters nigerians one time... and only got about a cup of milk... NOT worth my time and HANDACHE to get it..

you want cute and antics.. get a fainting goat!!!!!

Last edited:
Why not get the nubian and one of the nigis? My nigis don't eat near as much as my nubians (my nubians are wethers). I breed my nigis, but my second choice would be nubians. I love both breeds and don't think you'd be disappointed either way!

Back
Top Bottom