HELP! Nigerian vs. Nubian???

I'd get the nubians. I love my nubians, does and the wethers. I don't keep any bucks. I've had pygmies, but they are quite rugged and pushy.
The nigerians are similar, from what I've seen. I've had togs too and now have a LaMancha doeling. She's a real doll too.

Carmel

Well Nigerians do produce alot of milk if their genetics are right. I have 1 that when milked she will give 1 gallon a day. I have both and basically it all depends on the teat size...some Nubians have tiny teats and some dont...same with Nigis...I think its just personal preference. I have both and also some other larger type of goats. To me it all tastes the same...wont do Toggenburgs as I dont like their milk...but try each and see which type you like better. Also you will have to breed them to get milk. they wont stay in milk forever.

Since the Nigerians are in milk, go milk them. Don't be embarrassed if you don't know how. We all had to learn. If you can milk them and they are behaved during milking then buy them.
A bird in the hand is worth more than one in the bush. If you need to breed the Nubian in order to get milk you will have a 5 month plus wait.
Personally this time of year I wouldn't pay that price for a nonbred nonregistered unproven doe.

I would also not want to buy an unbred nubian right now, you'd have the 5 months at the least, this is kind of late in the season for them, so more likely you'd have close to a year before getting any milk.

Yeah, I forgot that they don't breed year long. And I mistyped...a bird in the hand is worth TWO in the bush....
roll.png

THANKS SOOO MUCH!

I really appreciate the input. I think we have decided to go with the Nigerians right now, if the option is still open. I have a call out to the woman for the offer. They seem to be the right size for the family. The right size for a backyarder like us and I appreciated all the comments and learned a lot more about both breeds.

The woman who is selling them said the one is a fantastic milker and I guess I'll have to go through a bit of a learning curve. I sure hope it works out.

Thanks for all a the input and advice.
big_smile.png

I think that you will be suprised by how much you will enjoy milking. Most people, myself included, say it's the most relaxing part of the day.
Just relax and have the woman show you how to do it. That will make it easier to do when you get them home.
Enjoy!

Have the women show you how to do it! Sexist!

Took me three pulls and a "what the heck are you doing" look from the goat, and I got it going! Figure it our yourself, we dont need no women!

Last edited:
:lol:Well, since it is a woman that is selling the goats I figured the same woman would be there for the milking lesson.

The woman...as in the owner of the goat. Who cares if it's a boy or girl.

Can you bring in a Nigerian to be friends with a Nubian wether, or would the Nubian be too big and rough?

Back
Top Bottom