HELP! No electricity from storm

Lokale90

Chirping
Apr 18, 2020
We just lost power from the storm & I’ve got duck eggs in the incubator. How can I keep them warm enough while also keeping proper humidity? All I can find online for no electricity incubation is it being supplemented with sunlight which we don’t have right now.

It is probably a little late now but keeping the incubator closed, wrapping it in insulation like a blanket, maybe add a bottle filled with hot water, or hot-hands?! 🤷‍♀️
I had chicken eggs go more than 12 hours and still hatch.

It is probably a little late now but keeping the incubator closed, wrapping it in insulation like a blanket, maybe add a bottle filled with hot water, or hot-hands?! 🤷‍♀️
I had chicken eggs go more than 12 hours and still hatch.
We ended up getting power 4 hours later. One of my eggs that has been incubating for 23 days has a crack going around the pointy end of the egg & hairline cracks all around the egg. I had picked up the egg & it felt lighter. Duckling is barely moving in there it seems. I’m not sure what could have cracked it. I imagine it wasn’t the duckling?.. if it’s light does that mean the cracks caused it to dry out inside?

Four hours is not much when it comes to the incubation. If the egg was previously cracked, then bacteria could easily have gotten in and would cause the death of the embryo,

Last year, I lost power for a few days. Everything was wrapped as best as possible, I did not turn the eggs. They survived. I've even read of a case where duck eggs had been allowed to cool for many days and still hatched.

Back
Top Bottom