HELP! No one can get along!

CatsCrazyCoop

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Putnam Valley, NY
I have 7 standards - about 20 weeks old and then 5 bantams and 1 standard about 8 weeks old.

The older/larger girls just peck at the little ones. I modified a crate that only the little ones can get in and out for safety - but will they ever get along? Is there something else I should be doing with them to get them to get along? I am frustrated.

Put the older ladies in time out!
They do need to establish a pecking order so there will be some bickering for a little while but if they don't stop or if they go too long, then put them in time out and make them the "new guys." It's good to have a place to go for the little ones but they can't hide forever.

Sometimes they just need an adjustment period. Do watch and be sure nobody is being injured. My crew of 8 that were bought in groups of 1 or 2 never really settled down. They are segregated for safety and my solution is under construction. I've almost finished a chicken version of a horse barn with a separate stall for each bird. The more compatible ones free range in shifts. Two of the banties get to share. This is after too much bloodshed and a couple of near death experiences.

Quote:
How long is too long? I am not sure how to tell if they are being hurt or not.

They did injure one of my silkies a few weeks back - and I am battling wry neck with her...
...I would laugh at the time out - but, I am guessing you're serious and it works? How long does a time out last?

Maybe I will stick the peckers with my kids. Timeout all together
smile.png

I'm not trying to be mean, because I've read enough things that I know it can work.

However, standard practice is to not put integrate until they are around the same size.

I have mixed them before, but never 8 week old chicks with 20 week old, especially not bantams as they are even smaller. The young ones probably are getting hurt. If you have a crate that is big enough for the young ones, I would leave them in there for at least a few more weeks, where the the older ones can see them but can't hurt them. You are trying to put babies in with chickens that are just starting to mature.

Enoujgh said.

Quote:
How long is too long? I am not sure how to tell if they are being hurt or not.

They did injure one of my silkies a few weeks back - and I am battling wry neck with her...
...I would laugh at the time out - but, I am guessing you're serious and it works? How long does a time out last?

Maybe I will stick the peckers with my kids. Timeout all together
smile.png

Well this doesn't work for everyone but when my rooster pecked the babies for more than a few hours, I put him in a 20 minute time out. Time out is usually recommended to be longer term but 20 minutes worked for him.
If you see blood or limping, assume their hurt. Otherwise, they're probably fine.

Back
Top Bottom