Help-not a super handy person...

I'd switch out those 90's for 45's if you can and pitch the whole roof.
View attachment 1915555

Or just create an independent structure inside it, a few fence posts and a roof, doesn't have to cover the whole thing, just enough to keep the center up and the sides pitched a bit.

Sorce

This is what I have started on the inside with wood. That whole side that is visible already has wood added but I was doing the slant opposite, so it was going to be slanted on both sides with the center being higher-but the added part will throw that off because if I pitch it that pitch will run into the flat part.

So maybe I can slant the roof on the far side of the existing run, a slight slant on what will be the middle and flat to the added section? Then just use panels on the slanted part, leave netting only on the slightly slanted and panels on the flat(the new addition is going to have 4x4's as the posts in the ground all the way around(about 8 of them)-I feel that will hold the flat roof on that part fine.

I originally was going the other way with the coop which would make everything easier but I can't get rid of the pool for a while and I'm going to be a grandma so the area where the pool is will be one a play area for my future grandson.

Hardware cloth will catch snow and sag like the netting did.

For me the cost of doing a proper roof over that large of a run (even installing everything myself) would be to much.

Maybe a carport would help....

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...e_PLA&utm_medium=Tarps & Canopies + Shelters >%20Canopies%20%2B%20Pop-Up%20Canopies&utm_campaign=ShelterLogic&utm_content=59929&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzrLQ4uvm5AIVFdRkCh2UPwLtEAQYHSABEgJdBfD_BwE

This one is designed with animals in mind.

View of net while inside run looking up
View attachment 1915543

Your top netting is made out of stronger material than my netting. However, it looks like in the picture that the snow is accumulating on the top netting and another wet snow fall could overload everything and bury your chickens in a deep freeze. I don't see any other supports in your run to hold up the top netting. I think support tees in run would help with the sagging and make it much more safe, especially for the winter.

I hope to build a bigger run next year, and I will definitely be adding support tees inside the run so that the netting does not sag. I am at an age where I don't like bending over to tend my birds, so my top netting has to be above my head.

Thanks for the pics. Looks like you have a very nice setup for your birds. Encourages me to expand my chicken run next year.

Back
Top Bottom