Help not sure what is going on

Haskinsgirls

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 23, 2013
New Hampshire
This is what she looks like I have no idea what is going on.

Hello & welcome,
Not sure what you are referring to - the poopy bum or the bald spots or both, so here goes.
Soap, water and cloth to clean up the bum. It will likely require a couple of soakings to remove the poop, trim off tatty feathers gently. While you are in the general area check for mites/lice. If you see any dust the hen and her coop mates. Apply some antibiotic ointment to any open spots. I would be tempted to apply Blukote to the area (avoiding the vent) to prevent further picking. I would do the same to the bald spot on the back.
Do the other hens peck at her? If it's just one bully hen, remove the bully for a couple of days. If they are all picking at her, place her somewhere away from the flock where she will be safe and can recover.
Extra protein will help with feather re-growth, probiotic yoghurt for the diarrhea, greens, cat kibbles etc.
Hope that helps, I'm sure other folks will give you some more ideas also, good luck, Sue
thumbsup.gif

Welcome to BYC. I agree with boskelli that there may be some feather picking going on, and she may have some vent gleet, which is a yeast infection. Does her abdomen seem enlarged or is that just because of the lost feathers? I would clean her bottom (an epsom salt bath would be good in warmer weather, or if you could dry her off, and bring her in overnight. Buy some antifungal cream or ointment and apply daily. Mycostatin or Nustock cream would work. also agree with giving probiotics to get the gut healthy.

Last edited:
thank you we are not sure I have not seen the others pecking at her and I am out their watching them often. I will look for that what are the chances of the mites spreading to the other chickens. We live in a COLD environment should we completely clean out the inside coop?

thank you we are not sure I have not seen the others pecking at her and I am out their watching them often. I will look for that what are the chances of the mites spreading to the other chickens. We live in a COLD environment should we completely clean out the inside coop?
Have you found any mites or lice on her? Look closely at her skin all over--you may see mites or lice and eggs at the base of feathers. If you find mites on her, then the others probably have them also. Then you would need to dust with Sevin dust or permethrin, clean the coop and nests, and throw out the litter, and re-dust in 1-10 days. Here is some info on lice/mites:
http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf
http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom