help not sure what to do or what's wrong with my hatch?

roamingchick

Songster
6 Years
May 15, 2014
Steuben County NY
My incubator was due to hatch yesterday, I am incubating in Styrofoam lg still air hand turned. Yes I am aware that a fan and turner better incubator and so forth will help, but I am limited to this for now.

I had one chick hatch then nothing no pips nothing. I candled one last night it seemed to me nothing was happening, I carefully opened from the top, I was wrong I saw slight movement so I stopped and back in the incubator it went.
Now I wait nothing is happening... what am I doing wrong do I wait? How long? This is torture but don't want my chicks to die.

Sounds like your temperature might have been a tad low. Did you calibrate your thermometer(s) before you set the eggs? This is, in my opinion, the most important step when you're incubating. And most people skip right over it. Its hard to get eggs to hatch if your temperature is off. What temp did you incubate at?

Last edited:
My incubator was due to hatch yesterday, I am incubating in Styrofoam lg still air hand turned. Yes I am aware that a fan and turner better incubator and so forth will help, but I am limited to this for now.

I had one chick hatch then nothing no pips nothing. I candled one last night it seemed to me nothing was happening, I carefully opened from the top, I was wrong I saw slight movement so I stopped and back in the incubator it went.
Now I wait nothing is happening... what am I doing wrong do I wait? How long? This is torture but don't want my chicks to die.
I agree, with temps. Still air should run at 101.5 ish. As for fan and turner. Fan's are theoretically better, but they have their issues too. Turner I have to disagree with. I started with a turner and switched to hand turning at least 3xs a day and I strongly believe if you can hand turn, it's better.

What was your humidity the first 17 days?

Not to be rude and I do appreciate all of your help, but with no means of offending anyone I can't undo what I did or did not do earlier in hatch. This is where I am at, day 22 I now have two hatches the chick I opened died after hatching, sadly my meddling may have lead to that, honestly I thought nothing would hatch so first hatch last night second moments ago... I lost the third whom as I said I opened partially... I still have twenty eggs in incubator do I wait if so how long and at what temp and humidity... hating this bator! :|

If there was possibility of low temp or cool spots. I would wait til day 24 or 25.

Keep temp where you have it and humidity high 65 to 70.

Candle again before you throw any out.

Hey everyone, I have the same problem, but on Indian runner duck eggs that I got from ebay. On day 29 there was no sign of pipping, I candle them it looks like there is something in the eggs. I made the mistake of opening some of the eggs, two nothing inside, but one I was pulling the shell off and the baby duck was alive but of course died. I put the other eggs back in the bator hoping that the others would hatch. Today, day 30, nothing, should I take them out of the bator or leave them. Temp is 99.5 and humidity is 70%. Help!

I do believe ducks take longer then chicks, I'd candle then open just a small part at top by air sac carefully and see if their is any movement.
But that just me, I am struggling with my hatch so maybe someone can give their opinion, too.

Back
Top Bottom