Help! Older chickens mean to new ones...did I make a mistake putting them in together?

friends4Marley

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 24, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am new to the chicken world. I have two 13 week old Leghorn/silver Dorking crosses. They have had the coop to themselves for a while. Today I got six 8 week old silver lace Wyandottes, and put them in together while watching to see how the older ones treated the younger ones. The Leghorns were so mean to the Wyandottes, they just started pecking them! I put the Leghorns out side to stop them from pecking the babies, what should I do? Is this just normal and I should put them all together and let them sort it out? Are the 8 week olds too young to be in with the 13 week olds?
Thanks in advance. :)

If you go to the top of the page, you'll see a Tab for the learning center. I think there is some good information there on integration. You can also do a Search on integration. There are a ton of threads on the subject.

Basically, yes. You cannot just put strange birds together. Their Intruder Alert System goes off and the pecking begins. They need time to see and hear each other through a mesh or netting for a few days. Even then, the pecking order has to be re-established and two flocks merged. Tough politics in the chicken world.

Also, the younger birds are at a distinct disadvantage in size, weight and experience.

in most cases it is the older hens showing the younger ones where they are in the pecking order. although it looks mean its just their way. in some cases it is just old bitties being mean and miserable, but thats in few cases.

No matter the age difference, you really shouldn't ever put new birds directly in with your existing flock - they could bring disease or illness that you don't know about. You really should always quarantine new birds for a few weeks away just to make sure they're clean (of anything from lice/mites to respiratory issues). However, too late for that now- live and learn.
Personally, I like to take a little time in introducing new birds to an existing flock by letting them see one another through wire (just partition off part of your run or something along those lines) for a week or two before letting them at each other. Even better if you can free range them for several hours during "introductions."
Although the newbies are younger (not THAT much younger), there are more of them, so that's an advantage on the newbie's part. Some pecking/chasing is normal - that's where pecking order comes from. But if blood is being drawn or feathers yanked out, I'd intervene. Make sure there is more than one feeder/waterer available (set well apart) so that the newbies aren't always chased away from the food/water source. An extra roost in the coop would be good, as would branches, stumps, or other barriers in the run so that they have places to get away to...

Last edited:
Thank you so much everyone for you advice! They are now all getting along, although there is a favorite roosting area and the big ones always get it. They little ones are even brave enough to steal treats (strawberries mostly) from the big ones. I will definitely quarantine newer ones as they come in next time. Thanks for your answers everyone. :)

Back
Top Bottom