In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2017
Somewhere in a Coop
Hello! I need some help on selling my eggs! My questions are:
~ Are my prices fair? The prices are:
1 dozen:$3.00
24 eggs: $5.00
half a dozen: $2.00
(I'm taking .25 cents off if they bring a carton)
~ I'm making flyers to hand out and post... any photos that I can post on my flyers? Or anyone with a layout plan already?
(We are also making a sign for the lawn)
Thank you a million!

EDIT
Hey! TYSM for feedback :) if your reading this after this edit I would still love some more feedback! For anyone looking for a flyer layout plan go check out my gallery, i have posted 2 different versions of flyers :) Again, TYSM
D.gif

Last edited:
Here's a link to an article dealing with marketing backyard eggs you might find interesting:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/your-backyard-egg-sales-marketing-and-branding

If you check with other members on your state thread, they may be able to give you more "local" feedback. I used to sell my extra eggs when I lived in Florida and what I sold them for there, might be too cheap or too expensive where you are.

Be sure you aren't breaking any ordinances or laws before you begin.

Good luck to you!

Selling eggs is a Romantic notion....but the Reality can be laborious.

Pricing your eggs can depend on:
-on what the local market will bear.
-what is your goal in selling eggs: just to get rid of the extras, cover your feed costs, make a profit???
-how much work do you want to do, it can snowball fast?
Remember you can always lower the price, harder to raise it, so start high.

Do you really want just anyone driving up to your house buy eggs? I sure don't.
How will you clean, store, package, collect money, etc??

Also remember that eggs are a seasonal food,
most customers are used to getting what they want,
immediately when they want it at the grocery store,
and might not be keen to being 'cut off' in the winter.

Maybe I'm kinda lazy...but I keep thing small and simpler.
Coop can only hold so many birds(~20) healthily so I only have 4 year round customers,
with some high season overflow customers.
Egg sales @$3.50/dz covers the cost of feed and bedding,
and all the eggs I can eat(sometimes too many),
which was my goal.

Location matters.

I'm in a rural community, where everyone knows someone that has chickens. So we're selling our excess at $2 / dozen, and I still think the people that buy our eggs are just doing it to be nice.

I take time to inspect each egg for any dirt, other shell defects, and I weigh each dozen to make sure they come to 24 ounces per dozen. Those that don't make the cut become our eggs.

I also candle a few in an effort to try and spot any defects, and make sure the air cells are no bigger than dime-sized at the top of my eggs (under 1/8 inch for sure). And then I also break a few open now and then to see how they look.

Right now I'm only receiving a dozen dollars a week or so, but I'm entertained at the notion of having a reputation for good eggs.

Where I'm at, it certainly isn't worth it financially. I recoup the cost of feed, and maybe have enough to buy our milk for the week.

Right now we aren't selling from our house. The wife takes them with her to church and other places.

Despite the hassle and the lack of return, I enjoy selling the few eggs we send out.

Search online for your state's county extension website, and look around for regulations where you're at. The laws will likely be under state health regulations, but every place is different.

Back
Top Bottom