Help! On TV Wed about eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marcym, May 17, 2010.

1. marcym

marcym Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Iowa
    I just started selling baked goods and fresh eggs at a local farmers market. They just informed me Sat that I will be on a local TV show this Wed, promoting the market, my eggs, and baked goods. I am NOT the TV type, I don't even turn the darn thing on! Anyway, I am going to touch on the USDA's regulations for "free range" "cage free" ect ect so that they know what they are really buying at most groceries. I have an article from GRIT that addresses a few trials and the health aspects of farm fresh. Anything else I need / should add? Thanks! I'm kinda running around like a chicken with my head cut off over this!! Pun fully intended!!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Congratulations!!! It really sounds like you've got all your ducks, er, eggs in a row!!!

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    maybe talk about how factories provide no perches for the birds and how they have the beaks trimmed off to prevent cannibalism when instead it would be more humane to offer more room to prevent cannibalism. and you could say how the male chicks are sent into a grinder when they are born and after a year most layers are sent off to slaughter were they turn into cheap pet food [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Congrats! We have a new TV star at BYC LOL! Just be yourself, good luck.

5. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I just know my girls look alot happier than the ones I have seen pictured in the commercial pens. [​IMG]

6. Omani

Omani Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Machias,NY
    [​IMG] Way to go! Now you can tell everyone why people keep chickens.
    If it were me, I'd focus on the positives of having fresh eggs vs. store bought. Maybe you could have a few store bought for comparison. I think that if you talk about how bad egg factories are, the piece may not make it to air. You could just sound like a zealot. Think about why you started keeping chickens in the first place. Make all those positive reasons your best arguement, not how inhumane those factories are. More people want to hear the "good" rather than the "bad".

Just my 2 cents.

7. marcym

Apr 21, 2009
    Iowa
    Great ideas. I know at market I do have a store bought egg cracked along side a fresh egg, and do the same for boiled eggs and cut them in half. My sign says "Can you tell the difference between the store bought egg and the one that came straight from the farm?" I think I will do that, plus maybe the float test. Too bad I don't have any bad ones to use to show a floater! Keep those ideas coming!

8. marcym

Apr 21, 2009
    Iowa
    Oh yea. It's called Paula Sands Live, so it will air even if I sound stupid. That's what scares me.....

9. halfpint512

halfpint512 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    Chippewa Falls
    Don't forget to talk about their benefits like eating the pesky bugs and the fantastic fertelizer they give for your gardening along with providing great eggs to eat! My area is bad for limes disease and their eating deer ticks is life saving for my family in my yard.

10. gibsonbuzz

gibsonbuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Coloma, Michigan
    The whole reason we got into chicken raising is, my wife is allergic to all of the antibiodics that go into chicken feed. So therefore my wife can't eat store bought chicken and eggs without getting sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by