HELP!! One bunny not a boy???

ametauss

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Shepherdsville, KY
I put what were suppose to be two boys (one Himalayan, one dwarf) rabbits in the dogs kennel while my son and I cleaned their cages this past weekend.

Well the Himalayan started humping the dwarf....

What do you rabbit folks think?? Think Dwarf is really a girl and in 31 days I’ll have babies??? or that the Himalayan was just showing dominance.

Thanks.

ya.gif
wee.gif
you are a grandma congrats
wee.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif
hugs.gif
old.gif

Rabbits of either sex will mount other rabbits of either sex in a display of dominance, so it doesn't mean for SURE that you have a mixed pair.
This is a pretty good link that should tell you how to see for yourself what sex you have: http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sexing.shtml
It
really isn't as hard to sex bunnies as people seem to think. The hardest part is often getting them to lie still so that you can get a good look.
If you can't figure it out on your own but can get a good picture of the genital area, post it here and we can take a look...

Last edited:
Seriously..... check for your self what the sexes are before putting rabbits together or getting a new rabbit for that matter. It's not difficult to check.

I was once lied to by a 12 year old 4H girl. She gave me a "Boy" bunny to keep it away from her girl bunnies so they wouldn't breed. Oscar gave birth exactly 31 days after I got "Him".

Edited to add,
I hope I dont sound like I'm comming down hard on you.
bun.gif
I'm just still bitter, I mean a 4H girl for crying out loud there not suposed to lie to adults are they?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Sounds like little ones are on the way. If 2 males are put together they will run after each other and fight. If you'd like to know sooner you could maybe bring her to a rabbit breeder in the area and get her palpated (they feel and gentle squeeze the uterus to feel for babies) you have to wait at least 10 days.

I have had female rabbits mount each other. The best way is to flip them over and take a look. By the time they are able to breed you should be able to tell if you have males.

Thanks for all the posts.... I got the dwarf from a crazy lady who said she had been breeding for 20 years and told my son it was a boy... The other one the vet said was a boy.....

I'll know one way or the other in a couple of weeks....

Thanks.

jumpy.gif

I've had 2 males try to breed one another and then proceed to try to rip each others testicles off. Trust me not a pretty site besides costly. This happened before I was rabbit smart. You'll figure it out one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom