HELP!! One bunny not a boy???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ametauss, Oct 31, 2008.

1. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I put what were suppose to be two boys (one Himalayan, one dwarf) rabbits in the dogs kennel while my son and I cleaned their cages this past weekend.

Well the Himalayan started humping the dwarf....

What do you rabbit folks think?? Think Dwarf is really a girl and in 31 days I’ll have babies??? or that the Himalayan was just showing dominance.

Thanks.

2. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    [​IMG] [​IMG] you are a grandma congrats [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Rabbits of either sex will mount other rabbits of either sex in a display of dominance, so it doesn't mean for SURE that you have a mixed pair.
    This is a pretty good link that should tell you how to see for yourself what sex you have: http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sexing.shtml
    It
    really isn't as hard to sex bunnies as people seem to think. The hardest part is often getting them to lie still so that you can get a good look.
    If you can't figure it out on your own but can get a good picture of the genital area, post it here and we can take a look...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Seriously..... check for your self what the sexes are before putting rabbits together or getting a new rabbit for that matter. It's not difficult to check.

I was once lied to by a 12 year old 4H girl. She gave me a "Boy" bunny to keep it away from her girl bunnies so they wouldn't breed. Oscar gave birth exactly 31 days after I got "Him".

Edited to add,
    I hope I dont sound like I'm comming down hard on you. [​IMG] I'm just still bitter, I mean a 4H girl for crying out loud there not suposed to lie to adults are they?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  5. backforty

backforty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2008
    central WI
    Sounds like little ones are on the way. If 2 males are put together they will run after each other and fight. If you'd like to know sooner you could maybe bring her to a rabbit breeder in the area and get her palpated (they feel and gentle squeeze the uterus to feel for babies) you have to wait at least 10 days.

6. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I have had female rabbits mount each other. The best way is to flip them over and take a look. By the time they are able to breed you should be able to tell if you have males.

7. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Thanks for all the posts.... I got the dwarf from a crazy lady who said she had been breeding for 20 years and told my son it was a boy... The other one the vet said was a boy.....

I'll know one way or the other in a couple of weeks....

Thanks.

[​IMG]

8. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I've had 2 males try to breed one another and then proceed to try to rip each others testicles off. Trust me not a pretty site besides costly. This happened before I was rabbit smart. You'll figure it out one way or another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by