Help!!! One fell out of the nest!

chicknnugget

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 18, 2012
Mooresville NC
I did my chicken chores tonight and noticed one of my broody hens eggs must have rolled out of the back of nest on onto the ground. It must have rolled out the night before when I last did my chicken chores last, so it has been out for 24 hours! It looks to have survived the fall (no cracks) but This seems like a horribly long time to be away from mama. These eggs are 9 days old, and I can see there is something going on in there (ie. veins and an eye maybe) It was a nice warm and muggy night and hot today as well here in NC. Not knowing what else to do, I marked this one egg and set it back under her. Neither I or my hen have never ever gone through this hatching experience before. She is doing a great job, but sadly the same can't be said for me. I feel awful that I did not notice that poor egg falling on the ground last night. Am I crazy to hope that this little peep still has a chance. Thanks in advance for any help you could give me!

quote:
"Am I crazy to hope that this little peep still has a chance?"

Not at all my girl went broody on 9 eggs and was chased off her nest several times a day (she was a new hen) during winter when we had 3 feet of snow on the ground sometimes i'd cry thinking they were dead 6 made it to hatch day only five made it out the other 3 weren't fertile
sad.png
. anyway i would wait till day 14 where you can see movement and compare it to one that YOU KNOW is growing for sure

good luck hope you get a good hatch
fl.gif

quote:
"Am I crazy to hope that this little peep still has a chance?"

Not at all my girl went broody on 9 eggs and was chased off her nest several times a day (she was a new hen) during winter when we had 3 feet of snow on the ground sometimes i'd cry thinking they were dead 6 made it to hatch day only five made it out the other 3 weren't fertile
sad.png
. anyway i would wait till day 14 where you can see movement and compare it to one that YOU KNOW is growing for sure

good luck hope you get a good hatch
fl.gif
Thanks so much for your reply. The only thing I can do is pray and wait. Again thanks so much!

I'm curious, did your chick ever hatch? I had an egg fall out of the nest last night and thinking it was a goner I opened it to see what was inside and it was what appeared to be a 10 day old embryo. Now I'm sad and hope I didn't lose hope on it too soon!

I'm curious, did your chick ever hatch? I had an egg fall out of the nest last night and thinking it was a goner I opened it to see what was inside and it was what appeared to be a 10 day old embryo. Now I'm sad and hope I didn't lose hope on it too soon!

This thread is from 2013. Doesn't look like the original poster logs on any more, but looking at future postings, they apparently did have some chicks to hatch, but nothing specific on that egg.

Back
Top Bottom