Help! One of my 4 week old chicks is dyeing!

AfewBricks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 31, 2013
Other then not keeping up in growth, this little chick has been thriving with the others. This morning she's been acting listless, I thought it was just me, but now it's obvious! I don't know why she would be doing this. I'm already putting a little apple cider vinegar in their water, and I gave them probiotic two days ago for 24 hrs after introducing new chicks, the same age. I don't want to lose her!

I just gave 3 drops if electrolyte solution and all this clear fluid came running out of its mouth! What is going in here?

Lethargy in chicks this age is often the first, sometimes the only, sign of coccidiosis. At her age and given the fact that new chicks were introduced to the group, I'd be very suspicious. I would treat them all with a round of Corid asap.

The way to check if a chickens crop is emptying normally is check it at night, see if she ate and filled her crop, or if there's anything in there at all. Then check it very early in the morning, before they would get up and start eating, maybe pick up the food so you know they don't eat before you check her. The crop should be empty. If it's not then she may have an impacted crop.

Back
Top Bottom