Help!! One of my baby quail won't stop crying!

Browning

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
I had 34 baby quails hatch and I have one that will not stop crying. I have checked the temperature in the brooder, water, and food. I even inspected the baby and saw no physical injuries. It has been crying on and off all day. He is eating fine and drinking he just seems to be unhappy and I don't know what to do. I have all the baby quails in my bathroom because the quail shed is too cold to have them out there. So me and my husband have had long sleepless nights. Its like I have an infant baby all over again. He wakes us up every 30 minutes crying.
hit.gif
I don't know what to do. Help!

I tried guiding him toward the warmest part of the brooder, but he is till very vocal. I have noticed that as soon as I go in to the bathroom when he is crying he has started to stop.
hmm.png
Last night I slept on my bathroom floor cause he obviously did not want me to leave. I even tried putting a little teddy bear in with it but he doesn't find it interesting. I hope he grows out of it fast cause I don't think my back can take sleeping on the bathroom floor.

That's how they are if you hatched them out and it is annoying after a while. It may just be me but I think the chirping is an instinctual act of calling for its mother even though it was hatched out of an incubator. There's a lot of chirping at first but as the days go by, the chirping should slow down. There is one way I've found that will stop the chirping and that's if the eggs were hatched under a mother bird - quail or chicken. But you would have to have done that before the eggs hatched though. I've placed in a mounted adult bird (taxidermy) with the chicks and it helps reduce the chirping. I push them to the mounted bird (laying on it's side) and they just squeeze inside or press themselves beside the feathers and sleep. I'm not saying that you should do what I did, but I'm just providing you my experiences.

fyi: I only deal with domesticated wild birds and made the assumption that it shouldn't be to different for coturnix/etc.

That's how they are if you hatched them out and it is annoying after a while. It may just be me but I think the chirping is an instinctual act of calling for its mother even though it was hatched out of an incubator. There's a lot of chirping at first but as the days go by, the chirping should slow down. There is one way I've found that will stop the chirping and that's if the eggs were hatched under a mother bird - quail or chicken. But you would have to have done that before the eggs hatched though. I've placed in a mounted adult bird (taxidermy) with the chicks and it helps reduce the chirping. I push them to the mounted bird (laying on it's side) and they just squeeze inside or press themselves beside the feathers and sleep. I'm not saying that you should do what I did, but I'm just providing you my experiences. fyi: I only deal with domesticated wild birds and made the assumption that it shouldn't be to different for coturnix/etc.
X2

Many times the first hatched baby becomes attached to the first large moving object it sees and that would be you. They will call to you all day long and into the night as well! LOL And they get louder the more you ignore them. Just check in on this little one once in awhile. He is calling to you and as long as he knows you are nearby, he will feel secure.

I had 34 baby quails hatch and I have one that will not stop crying. I have checked the temperature in the brooder, water, and food. I even inspected the baby and saw no physical injuries. It has been crying on and off all day. He is eating fine and drinking he just seems to be unhappy and I don't know what to do. I have all the baby quails in my bathroom because the quail shed is too cold to have them out there. So me and my husband have had long sleepless nights. Its like I have an infant baby all over again. He wakes us up every 30 minutes crying.
hit.gif
I don't know what to do. Help!
Just get yourself a large card board box and some type of lamp (60-100w incandescent light bulb). I put my in the garage and keep the temperature around 90F-95F at one corner and the rest much cooler. They just move where best fit them. It is that easy and nobody should loose sleep over it.

X2

Many times the first hatched baby becomes attached to the first large moving object it sees and that would be you. They will call to you all day long and into the night as well! LOL And they get louder the more you ignore them. Just check in on this little one once in awhile. He is calling to you and as long as he knows you are nearby, he will feel secure.
thumbsup.gif

we have a quail like this, infact she is sitting on my head right now, she appears to have attached herself to a human and chirps as soon as you leave the box. they are in a lidded storage box which is clear so she can see folk moving about, but the only thing that seems to settle her is holding her in your hand and under your chin. it is so loud we can hear her from the other room. I have 46 quail across 3 boxes. she's a british white. and is the only one to chirp out of a mixed lot of quail. my niece also hatched quail, and has one noisey one out of 17, again a british white.

Back
Top Bottom