HELP one of my chickens eyes is swelled and leaking fluid

gorgon

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2022
A few days ago I noticed one of my chickens eyes was swelled really bad. I looked at it closer, and there was fluid leaking out that had formed a yellowish crust around her eye.

I immediately cleaned around the eye with a wet washcloth and inspected her eye. I cannot even see her eye because it is too swelled up and there seems to be a white thing in her eye, I am not sure.

I did some research on this and from what I found out, it could be Mycoplasmosis or an Infectious Coryza, but I do not have many chicken first aid supplies. I gave her some NutriDrench and tried to give her food and water with a syringe, because she was not eating. I think her eye is so swelled that it is making her face swell up, so her beak is not able to close. Today I sprayed some Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Poultry Spray around the eye. I also put some VetRx on her comb.
20220811_141238.jpg
20220811_141226.jpg
20220811_141300.jpg

If anyone knows what could be wrong, please respond, because the eye does not seem to be getting any better, just worse. Now today I have noticed that her other eye has started to get bubbles and is leaking fluid too. I have attached photos of what the eye looks like above. Please help.

Does she have a bad odor from her face? The swelling and bubbles in her eyes could be from a respiratory infection called MG, or if there is a bad odor, from coryza. I would start by apply a warm wet compress to her eye, and flush her eye with saline or eye wash twice a day. Then apply a small dab of Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic, if you can’t buy the other at a feed store. Tylan 50 given orally, or tylosin powder added to the water can treat MG. Coryza would be better treated with sulfadimethoxine.

Is there a history of any respiratory infections in the flock in the past, or could she have been stung in the face by anything? Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Does she have a bad odor from her face? The swelling and bubbles in her eyes could be from a respiratory infection called MG, or if there is a bad odor, from coryza. I would start by apply a warm wet compress to her eye, and flush her eye with saline or eye wash twice a day. Then apply a small dab of Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic, if you can’t buy the other at a feed store. Tylan 50 given orally, or tylosin powder added to the water can treat MG. Coryza would be better treated with sulfadimethoxine.

Is there a history of any respiratory infections in the flock in the past, or could she have been stung in the face by anything? Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/2022-04/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
Thank you for your help 🙏. I will take your advice. There is a bad odor coming from her eye, so it is probably MG. I will try to find some Terramycin for her.

I was new to chickens and didn't have a first aid kit for my chooks. After a scary episode with prolapsed vent, I started adding to the kit, well now it's starting to take over a cupboard. As I read about diseases and injury, I will order an item. It helps as not to have a huge upfront cost. Here are a few things I have, although I have added a few things since.

Attachments

• 289048614_1620903644959590_4393270001844653450_n.jpg
    289048614_1620903644959590_4393270001844653450_n.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom