Help...one of my chickens has a broken leg

DebCan

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
My Amber, who I have had the longest (4yrs), has a broken leg. It is broken at the top of her leg. I have her leg wrapped so that its up and stable so its not just hanging there. Problem is, all she will do is lay there. I have to get her out of the coup and put her back at night. During the day she just lays where I put her. She will eat and drink but thats it. :( Is there something else I can do? And....Is this something she can recover from?

I should add that when it wasn't wrapped she was able to get into the coup on her own but she would still just lay around.

Last edited:
My Amber, who I have had the longest (4yrs), has a broken leg. It is broken at the top of her leg. I have her leg wrapped so that its up and stable so its not just hanging there. Problem is, all she will do is lay there. I have to get her out of the coup and put her back at night. During the day she just lays where I put her. She will eat and drink but thats it. :( Is there something else I can do? And....Is this something she can recover from?

I should add that when it wasn't wrapped she was able to get into the coup on her own but she would still just lay around.
:hugs:fl

Is vet care an option?
Is the skin broken on the leg too?

You may find this link helpful in splinting/wrapping the leg. Yes, it shows for wild birds, but avian anatomy is the same. https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

To get her upright, you can make her a sling. She will need to be monitored while in it.

Do what you can to get her eating/drinking. Poultry vitamins for a few days and extra protein added to her normal diet would be good too.
Let us know how she's doing.
upload_2018-5-9_9-21-23.jpeg

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b--broken-leg-recovery.jpg

Back
Top Bottom