Help! Only one keet hatched and it isn't doing well...

schuey

In the Brooder
8 Years
9 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Gainesville, FL
I was about to give up on the nest since Dottie (my guinea hen) has started to get off the eggs quite often and for longer periods of time (increasingly within the last few days); then yesterday at noon I was taking the eggs off the nest (Dottie was of course no to be seen) and I saw a beak sticking out of one of them! I had to go back to work, then when I got back at about 6 I read a thread on here about how to get the keet out of the shell. So I did that it seemed with no problems, but the keet wasn't too lively and just layed there. I had to quickly set up a brooder to keep it warm (had to read about how to do that as well), and hope for the best. It is still moving some in the brooder this morning, but it can't stand or won't keep it's eyes open and just doesn't look right (never done this before). I will add a picture soon as someone is getting a camera to me. Any suggestions on how I can save this keet?

Gosh, I was wondering how Dottie and the eggs were doing. I am sure that Peeps or Robin will have some advice for you. Is it drinking any water?

Sophia managed to hatch out 12 but I noticed an egg in the nest with the side broken open instead of the end and I can see that it contained a keet. I am going to try to get her out of the dogloo today and clean out the remaining eggs. She got off the nest more yesterday but only to take the keets to food and water then back on the nest she would go. Today is day 30 so I don't think any more will be hatching.

Here is a picture we took this morning.
Any advice?
77918_babykeet.jpg

It is still breathing - keeping it at 97.5 - moving/stretching and opening eyes...
Do we try to give it water by opening up beak?
Thank you for any and all advice

With my chicks I dip their beak gently in the water a couple of times. Also put marbles or pebbles in the water dish to prevent drowning.

You might want to shoot Robin and Peeps an email. Robin is east coast so she may respond sooner.

I have made an appointment with the bird vet for 10:30 eastern time, I hope it works out! I am still looking for any input from people...thanks.

Just got back from vet...sophia (the keet) died at the vet
sad.png
My 7 year old daughter took it pretty well though. The vet said the keet wasn't fully formed yet (thanks Dottie!). Oh well live and learn. Thanks for everyone's help and kind words.

Back
Top Bottom