Help!!! Oozy and swollen eye on one of my pullets!!!

tylerhearn

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
Hello all!

Only my second post and it has to be an emergency!!! I let my girls out last night and noticed that my Ameracauna pullet had what looked like dried, crusty feathers right next to her eye. It looked like there was some fluid around the base of her eye but was told by my partner that it was probably just water...

So, I just let them out into the run not 10 minutes ago and noticed that same eye is crusty, covered over, and a bit swollen! I have to go to work, and I am worried!!! Any idea what this could be and how to fix it?! And could it spread to my other pullets?!?!?!?!

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I will be calling my vet in the meantime too.

Thanks so much!

Tyler:ya

If it is just one eye it is probably an just and irritation from a peck or scratch. I had a chicken with one swollen eye and I cleaned it with saline daily and put neosporin ointment on it , the one without the pain relief ingredient. I applied the ointment twice a day and the swelling and discharge decreased over the course of a week. They sell opthamalic sp? antibacterial ointment for the eye with the same active ingredients in some drug stores with the same active ingedients but is more purified I guess.

If discharge starts coming out of both eyes it could be a respiratory infection.

Back
Top Bottom