Help.. Our 3 week old ducklings not like us

batteryman17

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
Please help we have 4 ducklings 3 weeks old today.. He held them all the time when they were new and after about a week they started to hate it!! They at least follower us around but now that all stopped.. They won't follow us everytime we go near them now they are so scared.. The only time they come close is if I have watermelon in my hand. But once that's gone they run away..
Please help what did we do wrong??

You didn't do anything wrong. Usually if you have more than one duckling.. they imprint on each other strongly and when they get to three weeks they don't need us anymore. But, when I hatched just one duckling.. they imprinted on me solely and didn't even know what another duck looks like.. so he/she will always be friendly but it isn't fair to raise just one single duckling unless you have a lot of spare time on your hands!

Normal. When ducklings first hatch they don't know enough to be afraid, later on their instincts kick in. Once they're a few months old they will be good around humans again.

Normal timing for ducklings to hate everybody.
Start paying attention to how you approach them (you are huge to them). Don't force yourself on them, but still hang with them lower to their level. They will come around again in a few weeks.

yup if I'm standing they mostly stay away, but when I crouch down they come around . if I have snacks they'll eat from my hand, sometimes I put my hand out with no.treats and they'll nibble my fingers, I always try to pet them when.their eating snacks maybe petting will be associated with treats. mine are 6 and 9 weeks old we spend a lot of time out doors with them even if we are not right by them we'll work on the yard or just play outside. they love my youngest daughter she can be swinging around a bat (she doesn't that's just an exaggerated example) and they will be right next to.her following her every move. she's a little one just about at their height only.slightly taller so I.think the size thing is a big thing

Back
Top Bottom