Help our Duck BITES US ALL THE TIME NOW!!

cali_duck_mama

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2021
Hello!! So we had gotten 2 baby ducklings from about 2 weeks , they grew up here at our house together inside as well as outside! Best friends/sisters ,go everywhere together , 2 months ago a raccoon got one of the sisters (we tried to save her but she didn’t make it 💔😭) so we started bringing our duck in every night (Farrah is her name) and she was very attached to us, she would sleep with my 2 year old and cuddle and we noticed she loved sleeping in the bathroom in front of our wall length mirror , well now Farrah has changed completely! She started biting and attacking our kids while they slept , at first we thought she was hungry and was telling us to feed her, now she does it anytime someone is wearing Sandals , she goes for the toes , and then ANY SKIN showing she bites and TWISTS!! Not just biting alittle like a punch she draws blood sometimes !! She attaches the kids legs and stomachs and arms anything she can get even their shirts she attacks me and my legs she has bit our faces , everything! She even RUNS AFTER US and we run away in terror (our poor kids are afraid to go outside now because she “glides” out of her coops whenever we put her in and goes right for the closest victim!! Why is she doing this?! Anyway to make her stop??? We are working on getting her a new friend but haven’t been able to find a full grown duck in our area yet!
*PICTURES BEFORE SHE TURNED INTO A CRAZY DUCK*

Attachments

• 30B508D4-08A6-477A-B46B-D3A3C196744B.jpeg
    30B508D4-08A6-477A-B46B-D3A3C196744B.jpeg
    534.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 670894CA-00AE-40A6-8C8C-C792C9F6CCEB.jpeg
    670894CA-00AE-40A6-8C8C-C792C9F6CCEB.jpeg
    498 KB · Views: 42
Yes you do have a boy duck, and he will need 3-6 females to keep him company and keep him busy. I imagine having that many ducks will be very difficult if they are sleeping inside your house and not in a coop so I'd recommend getting a coop. My advice for biting ducks is always to simply not tolerate the biting. Every time any of my ducks bites me I grab them, put them in a rabbit cage, and let them stay locked in there for about an hour to think about what they did. If they come out and bite again, right back into the cage. They will eventually learn to associate the biting with being locked in the cage all alone and hopefully that will be enough to make him stop.

That is definitely a male duck and from the sounds of it he is sexually frustrated. Drakes hold/bite onto the girls with their bills when they are mating, it sounds like he is trying to breed you and your family. Ducks are flock creatures and they do need other ducks to feel safe and be happy. As stated above, he will need multiple females to prevent over breeding of one hen. You'll also want to make sure that the females are sexually mature before being introduced to him.

I'm so sorry you lost your other duck. That is heartbreaking.
Also, definitely agree with the other responders that it's a drake. I couldn't quite tell from your post, but he was in the house for a while, but has a coop outside? Or is he still inside? Please protect your kids and don't let him be in the house where he can harm them. Your best options are going to be getting him a bunch of females, or rehoming him. Hopefully you have the facilities to allow for several girlfriends for him.
Good luck, I hope everything works out well for you. Keep us updated!

I'm so sorry you lost your other duck. That is heartbreaking.
Also, definitely agree with the other responders that it's a drake. I couldn't quite tell from your post, but he was in the house for a while, but has a coop outside? Or is he still inside? Please protect your kids and don't let him be in the house where he can harm them. Your best options are going to be getting him a bunch of females, or rehoming him. Hopefully you have the facilities to allow for several girlfriends for him.
Good luck, I hope everything works out well for you. Keep us updated!
Thank you, yep “she” is a he it’s decided haha first time duck Mama, plus we were told she was a she so yes we need to get females , we now have a small duckling waiting to mature to put together hoping it’s a girl!! Farrah sleeps outside at night and in its coops but he flys out most nights so working on the chicken wire

With a young drake that is patterned on your children and the lack of several females to keep him satisfied, I would seriously suggest rehoming him and keep only female ducks that can be gentle children's pets.

Back
Top Bottom