Help! Our First Doggie Attack :-(

canaday413

Chirping
Mar 21, 2015
Our dog got a hold of one of our chickens today. She snatched her up and we caught her and she dropped her immediately. The hen is limping but can walk. Leg doesn't seem broken but it's hard to tell. We didn't find any punctures either. She won't drink but pecked at some food earlier. When she's down she wants to stay with the flock but I've mostly let her rest on my lap which she is not opposed to do. We are newbies so not sure what we need to so. Could she be injured internally? We are so sad. :( Any advice would be appreciated.

So she is eating worms at least( that I dig up for her) but wont drink water. :-( She still can't get around very well and just stands or lays in one spot. Is it common for a hen to survive a small dog sttack?

Aww am sorry you hen got hurt.

Do her wattles and cone look nice and red still?
Eyes still clear and not cloudy?

For now I would separate her from the rest of the flock for a couple of days (or more depending on how she does) keep her quiet and in a semi dark room. She could be in shock and doesn't need the extra stress.
Separating her will also allow you to keep a closer eye on her, is she pooping? Drinking?
Feeding? Maybe offer her some mealworms and plain yogurt.

Keep us informed!

Thanks for the advice! We will separate her and let her rest and see how she fares tomorrow. If it is a broken leg...is there anything we can do?

Thanks for the advice! We will separate her and let her rest and see how she fares tomorrow. If it is a broken leg...is there anything we can do?
if it was broken or fractured she would not be walking or standing at all (I know what it feels like to have a fractured leg), it's most likely bruised or jammed, just keep a careful eye on her, and don't worry one of my growing chicks had been attacked and the outcome much worse than this and she is fully healed and laying eggs to this day

Last edited:
if it was broken or fractured she would not be walking or standing at all (I know what it feels like to have a fractured leg), it's most likely bruised or jammed, just keep a careful eye on her, and don't worry one of my growing chicks had been attacked and the outcome much worse than this and she is fully healed and laying eggs to this day

Thank you!! She is eating and drinking this morning. So that's relieving. I'll just continue to let her rest and keep an eye on her. She was not one of my favorites and kept her distance from us, but I think we've bonded over this. She'll be spoiled for sure by the time this is over.
1f60a.png

I just wanted to follow up on this. So our sweet hen that got attacked is fine as in she plays, eats, drinks, etc. But she still has a good limp. :( Is this something that should heal on its own or should we have her looked at?

Back
Top Bottom