Help our Minnie? Update in OP.

ElioraImmanuel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
Update: A few days after I posted this our Minnie began to withdraw. She died peacefully while being watched over by me and the kids. It was a fast decline. My oldest DD cried and cried
sad.png
. Thanks for everyones support.

We have a chick w/a twisted beak. Please do not suggest we cull. My oldest DD was holding her when she was just a week old and she jumped and probably broke her jaw. At day 30 we began bringing her into the house for the day and feeding her mash. She's growing, thriving. We put her in the coop at night and she snuggles right in. During the day, we bring a couple of "sisters" to visit and she cuddles w/them, they preen her, she's like the Queen of Sheba.

Minnie goes to bed w/a very full crop...kinda looks like the bubble on a level. She's part of the family.

DSCN3096.jpg

But, I've a few questions....

1. How do I get more nutrition into her? Will Cottage Cheese increase her protein? What should we give her. She likes the cheese, banana's, roaming in the grass etc. She does get grit.

2. What about winter? Should we keep her in all winter because of the exposed tongue?

3. Other suggestions?

4. Do they make chicken diapers?

Thanks for all assistance!

Last edited:
Minnie is going to need alot of love and care, there are chicken diapers, you can stuff with a napkin and clean out after a while. I have never made one, but I know there are many people here that have patterns for them. Also, I think mypetchicken.com sells them.

If she is eating mash, why don't you just buy chick feed & moisten it with either water or yogurt untill that is a mash. Then she will at least be getting the proper nutrition she needs. Also, make sure she is able to drink plenty of water.

Someone here makes the diapers. Check the for sale area. Also if you keep her hydrated and fed I do not see why she couldn't lead a full happy life.
How do you feed her ? Is she able to get food herself or is she having to be fed by dropper or hand ?

She is adorable.
love.gif
Bless your heart for taking such good care of her. I love that her "sisters" treat her like a queen, too.

i saved a chick just like that from atwoods..she is almost 5 months old now, eats fine and is the sweetest little girl ever.

Quote:
Maybe you could make her some toys or something I am not sure if it would work for her, but I freeze chopped veggies like zucchini and other squashes and give them to our chickens as treats and they enjoy that, pecking at them and they like that it is cold (I give it to them in the summer time it gets pretty hot here)... sounds like she is well taken care of and loved
smile.png

My oldest DD brings Minnie in from the little coup in the morning. Minnie stays in a little pen in the kitchen and all through the day she gets held and stroked. She likes to sit on us. At times we put her together w/one of her sisters. Minnie eats crumbles mixed w/water to make mush. She has water, likes cottage cheese, peaches and bananas. She's very happy.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom