Help! Pale, lethargic hen...

Expat Hen

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 9, 2013
Hi all,

Looking for some help with a sick chicken please!

I have two girls which I've had for about 9 months. I inherited them from a friend who was leaving the country so not sure how old they are... although people joke about my OAP hens so think they are getting on a bit.

They overnight in their house, but have the run of our compound during the day where there's plenty to eat - plants, bugs etc. I also give them additional feed and water. Although, as its rainy season at the moment that shouldn't be a problem. Its pretty wet and (very) humid) where we live.

For about a week one of my girls has been lethargic, but as she's always been the number two and less pushy to get to her feed, I wasn't too worried. However I've now spotted her lying down on her side and sort of propping herself by leaning against a wall which doesn't look good...

Although her body looks healthy - good weight and feathers in good condition - when I see her in comparison to the other bird her head, comb and legs are noticeably paler. No sign of mites.

She's never been much of a layer, but she is definitely not laying at the moment.

She is eating, but tentatively. Much more selective about what she goes for than her sister. I gave her some yoghurt over the weekend to see whether that perks her up.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions for what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom