Help! Pale, lethargic hen...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Expat Hen, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Expat Hen

Expat Hen New Egg

Sep 9, 2013
    Hi all,

Looking for some help with a sick chicken please!

I have two girls which I've had for about 9 months. I inherited them from a friend who was leaving the country so not sure how old they are... although people joke about my OAP hens so think they are getting on a bit.

They overnight in their house, but have the run of our compound during the day where there's plenty to eat - plants, bugs etc. I also give them additional feed and water. Although, as its rainy season at the moment that shouldn't be a problem. Its pretty wet and (very) humid) where we live.

For about a week one of my girls has been lethargic, but as she's always been the number two and less pushy to get to her feed, I wasn't too worried. However I've now spotted her lying down on her side and sort of propping herself by leaning against a wall which doesn't look good...

Although her body looks healthy - good weight and feathers in good condition - when I see her in comparison to the other bird her head, comb and legs are noticeably paler. No sign of mites.

She's never been much of a layer, but she is definitely not laying at the moment.

She is eating, but tentatively. Much more selective about what she goes for than her sister. I gave her some yoghurt over the weekend to see whether that perks her up.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions for what I can do.

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Look up fatty liver syndrome

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Rainy season = warm and wet soil, humid = internal parasites. Try worming your birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by