HELP paniced and order chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pebbles, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Pebbles

Pebbles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Kingman, AZ
    I'm in Arizona and I just lost two hens to heat two days ago. I'm down to 16 hens and I paniced and ordered chicks that will be delivered July 18th. Probably dumb but the deed is done.

Any advice about raising chicks in 100 degree weather? My previous babies came in February so the battle was keeping them warm.

Thank you so much for any advice.

2. kimmybee

kimmybee Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Waddell
    I have a six of my week old ornamental in a box in a spare room, heat lamp at night. my sixteen 6 week olds free range, and i put them up at night, so far no problem they hang out in the shade and seem fine, i bought my six ornamental at pratts so I didn't worry about delivery, the others i got at a different feed store. I am in AZ as well, do you coop them? mine are messing up my porch something terrible, we have to pressure wash every other day, but for now the porch is not used and it seems to work for my pullets, I am going to spray them down and leave some standing water for them, just read frozen water bottles work well too, as for the chicks I will move t hem to outside in a temporary coop 4 x4 separate from the others in about 3 weeks. what works for me is just a tuppawear bin, fill the bottom with dirt and put water and food in, a red heat lamp for night when the AC is on, leave in a bathroom or spare room disregard smell and charm company with cute fuzziness they forget the chicken smell, but you can shovel out dirt and add new dirt, it really works, absorbent, cheap, available! we don't use pesticides on our dirt, and added bonus if they find bugs in it, they love to scratch and use the old dirt as fertilizer or compost plus it is good for keeping them from getting splayed legs and keeps them dry and they can take dust baths, all around found this to be the safest, cleanest way to go about it.

other things i just read to do is frozen peas or berries to eat
    ice in water.

good luck braving it! we are on the west side so so so hot!!!!!

3. GreenMum

GreenMum Out Of The Brooder

That sounds like a good idea, the frozen peas and berries. And I think I read that making sure that they have plenty of cold water in the heat is quite imperative. The idea of the dirt in the big tupperware bin is epic!! I don't know what age they start to do the dust bath deal, but if they are so inclined, there is another bonus to the dirt bottom. Way to go Kimmybee!
    What about using a fan? It won't do much to cool anything down, but it will keep the air moving. I don't know what sort of set up you have there, but up here in the Pacific Northwest we open up our windows at night during the summer and first thing in the morning I go around and close everything up for the day. It keeps the temperature down quite nicely, especially if the doors don't get left open [​IMG] I am assuming that it gets chilly at night in Arizona. Good luck! [​IMG] And right now with these way below average summer temperatures where I live, I'm almost envious of the warmth you get.

4. CMlay

CMlay New Egg

Jun 24, 2011
    Yes inside is the best way. Clean news papers work well in the bottom of a horse water tank or large plastic bin. Use a RED light in heat lamp and a good thermometer.
    first two weeks ~EVERY 4 hours Give them clean water, feed, & change the paper.
    Start @ 90 degrees. When they are two weeks let them play outside in the shad (a little pen made of hardware cloth keeps out snakes, lets in fresh air). & will give your room a rest from the dust they make.
    If you keep them clean and stay on schedule they will be healthy.
    WATCH for Pasting, if the fecal matter sticks to the little ones bottom YOU WILL HAVE to wash it GENTLY with a wet SOFT tooth brush.
    this is my third successful batch ~ They are 21 days now & I've moved them out to the aviary. Because Arkansas nights can go down to 70 I will give them a corner bin covered with Hardware cloth, topped by a heat lamp. And will make sure the temp stays between 80-85.
    Good luck with your little ones they are so much fun to watch and they keep your yard bug free & clean not to mention the Wonderful edible EGGS [​IMG]

5. Pebbles

Pebbles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Kingman, AZ
    Thanks for the advise. I have an airy feed room I will keep them in. Our temps will stay in the high 70's at night so I will provide the heat lamp, protected in a horse water tank covered with 1/2" chicken wire. We have lots of little kitty's right now so I can't be too careful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by