help pecking order malfunction!

Kesta

Pie Crust Malfunction
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
houston tx
well my current roo is now bigger than my two older hens.he is younger but hes already old enough to mount. i know this because ive seen him try to mount my pullet who is too young. he is somehow lower in the pecking order than the two older hens and he propably wouldnt even think of trying to mount them!so as a result im not even getting any fertile eggs.and yes he has crowed the day after hurricane ike when he was seperated from the big hens!he was in a seperate cage in the garage. he was also the next day. but when we moved them all in the coop he just stopped because hes lower on the pecking order and hes too scared to crow. so what should i do?

Give it time, the pecking order takes awhile to establish. How many roosters do you have? It may be that you have tooo many and the little guy is getting picked on therefor doesn't dare crow. I raised a batch of babies this spring in the garage but when they were about 3 months old i put them in the coop with the rest of the flock and they all stopped crowing for well over a month.

huh is that why my cochin roo does not crow!?
lau.gif
He is SO not the dominant one in the house. My little serama guy chases him around even. Well, what happened with my bantam shy roo is that it was a waiting game. He finally got the nerve to peck back at his hen rather than taking all the pecking from her. She was a little older but she was mean to him. When he got older and bigger he finally pecked back. Good luck with yours...I just believe you have to wait it out to see how things go. Is he feeling ok? Healthy?

only one roo for three ladies and once theyre old enough hopefully two more but if he starts crowing again hes gotta go so maybe its a blessing in disguise

Ok you are gonna need more hens, i believe its 10 to 12 hens per rooster otherwise once he does mature a bit he will start tearing up those hens from over mating. I have learned this the hard way when i first started i had wayyy too many roos and not enough hens and the roosters ended up killing one of the hens by ripping her neck open. I cleaned the wound and kept her isoltaed for 3 weeks and just when i thought she was healing, i woke up one morning to find that she had passed away during the night. I felt horrible about it but it was a lesson learned.

Last edited:
dont worry i have a feeling this roo wont be around much longer cause the feed stores agreed to give us a few chicks in exchange for a nearly full grown roo

Good deal, i wish i could find a feed store like that, I have a roo i been trying to rehome for 2 months now with no luck. It seems to me that around here ya can't give a roo away.

hell be off our hands soon. were returning him this afternoon. but im worried cause the pullet i mentioned earlier will be lonely without him so im thinking of bringing her back as well im just not sure cause shes gettin a little closer to laying

Quote:
Completely off-topic, but if you're going to insult liberals (probably half the members of the forum), you should at least spell and punctuate your insult correctly.

Back
Top Bottom