Help!!! Pet Button Quail Fell In Cold Pool!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Griffin Nest, May 21, 2011.

1. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    He's my pet button quail, and I was just holding him (i always hold him) and a large bird flew by and scared him, so he jumped out of my hands and flew as high as he could!!! I was so afraid that he would fly into the busy street right behind my house, but instead, he turned around and flew right into the freezing pool! I picked him up as fast as i could! could thing he at least TRIED to swim. Now, his feathers are all wet, and he's shaking like crazy. i have him wrapped in a warm, dry towel and he's with my right now.

Is he going to be okay?!?!?! PLEASE!![​IMG]

Will this cause his to stress out and die? Will the sudden cold temperature cause him to get sick? PLEASE!! I need help!!

2. i'm not sure abot everything else, but i suggext you put him under a warm heatlamp

3. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    ok thanks![​IMG]

4. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

take the hair dryer and dry him off

5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    The clothes drier, set on the "Fluff and fold", 15 mins would be just right.... [​IMG] Bill

6. Sushi

Sushi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan
    Just like in people, getting a chill can make him more susceptable to catching a cold and getting sick. If you have an incubator, you could put him in there til he dries off, so long as the fan doesn't present a danger to him.

7. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    Quote:X2

8. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:the getting a chill thing and getting a cold isnt real. you catch the cold from breathing in the virus, but our body has many defense systems like nose hair, bumps in your throat, mucus, etc. learned tht in health class last week

9. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:i do have an incubator, but it's in use right now lol i got some partridge eggs in there [​IMG]

10. Sushi

Sushi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:the getting a chill thing and getting a cold isnt real. you catch the cold from breathing in the virus, but our body has many defense systems like nose hair, bumps in your throat, mucus, etc. learned tht in health class last week

Actually, it is true. There was a well publicized study that proved getting a chill greatly increased susceptability to the cold virus a few years back. I'll try to find an abstract of the study for you to show to your teacher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by