1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help pleasa, Where do mites come from ????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Yvonne37894, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    DBF want to stop the source of the mites 1st, so where do they come from, how do they get in the pens to start with ????

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Wild birds could stop and sit on your pens, a few drop off, and your flock picks them up. The only way to stop the mites is to prevent them. I rotate with Permethrin 10% spray and pour on ivermectin.

3. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Quote:The pit of hell.

4. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    Is it possible that they come from mice?

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Mites come from anywhere and everywhere they can. Mostly they'd come from wild birds, the grass they've sat on, the tree they've sat on, placed they've landed, etc. I am not familiar with the variety of mite that stays on mice, but I do know that most species of mite are particular about which animal they like to cling to/suck blood from. Some are ok with transferring to another species, some arn't.

Your best bet isn't to worry about where they are coming from, but rather to take preventative measures. A good way of doing this is doing a weekly dusting of your birds and their bedding with either Diatamaceous Earth (food grade), or Seven. It's like your approach to keeping your house cockroach free: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by