HELP PLEASE 1-7 day old CHICK'S

Love Farm

Hatching
5 Years
May 18, 2014
G-day, I have just purchased some new baby's
jumpy.gif
and I need some help please. I bought 2 little Platinum Sussex chick's this morning between a day or seven day's old and I am worried about them, since I got them home they have done nothing but sleep, Yes they are still breathing. Its VERY hot 32 degrees C . They haven't eaten, or had anything to drink. I'm worried that they are not going to make it threw the night
sad.png

I'm no expert, but I'd certainly suggest dipping their beaks in the water (I'd probably add vitamin supplements / electrolytes to the water) so they get the idea - dehydration is a cause for concern.

Good luck

CT

Are they huddled together or panting? Maybe they are too hot/ cold? I agree that you should dip their beaks in water. And adjust temp 5 degrees up or down and see if they perk up a bit. :)

Are they huddled together or panting? Maybe they are too hot/ cold? I agree that you should dip their beaks in water. And adjust temp 5 degrees up or down and see if they perk up a bit. :)

hugs.gif
Thank you all for your reply's, My little girls Saffron and Cinnamon perked up in the late afternoon, I watched them like a hawk making sure that they both had a drink and they did, they also had a little nibble on some food, I think there going to be fine. I don't have a heat box for them but being in Queensland Australia our nights are around the 20 degrees C + and our 3 other little girls who are much older 4 weeks are also doing great, I'm so looking forward to seeing them grow up. Thank you again for all your reply's and welcome to this forum.
jumpy.gif

You're most welcome and great news that they have perked up. You may wish to search for ideal temperatures for chicks to give you a guide as to whether they will need a bit more warmth or not.

All the best

CT

Very young chicks need more warmth than 4 week old- who have new feathers. I sorry I don't know Centigrade temps. just Fahrenheit - so I don't know if its too warm or not for them.

Baby chicks sleep a lot, hatching is hard work. You may like to post also at "Australia, six states and one funny little Island." lots of great members on there and they would understand the temps. where I do not.

Back
Top Bottom