help please 8 week old brahma chick

domtracey

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
london UK
hi all we got a 8 week old brahma chick today but not sure to put it in with my older hens I'v put it in there coop tonight and apart from my RIR who instantly pecked its head then left it alone im hoping all will be OK tonight or should i make a small pen for it and maybe divide a small section in ther coop aswell or will it be ok and its just my RIR being boss what do others think i should do

I've had this problem before. I'm gona lay it out for ya and hope this dosent get deleted... sometimes people can b kinda tuchy... I had to get rid of one of my RIR because she killed every bird I. Put in with her... even if I waited till they were the same size. I tried putting them together on nuetral ground, or putting the newbies in at nite while she was roosting... it was pretty bad... i would just say do not leave them unattended for long periods. RIR are known for being chicken agressive... I got rid of my hen and I havnt had a death yet.

well opened there coop today and the little one is still alive but had been pecked on over night, I let them out of the coop and my RIR is sometimes chasing it, so I'v divided the coop and run in half on the hope that thay can see each other and learn to get on ill try again in a week or so and fingers crossed thay get on, I know my RIR is bossy to my pepperpot but she is such a nice hen be ashame to rehome her.

aslo it leaves the brahma in a coop and run by herself :( has anyone ever put like a teddybear or fluffy toy to keep them warm somthink to snuggle up to, shes only 8 weeks old and its not realy cold here atm

Last edited:
A stuffed animal might be a good thing to put with the chick. Also, if you have a pet cage you could put the chick in there and leave it in the coop so it won't get pecked at. This way the chickens will get familiar with the new baby. Babies and adult chickens normally don't do well together unless the babies have a mom. Just my experience.

My rule: "Wait until the peep turns into a squack and then the chicks can join the flock". lol.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom