Help Please-----Am Treating for Cocci---still losing birds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by drdoolittle, Jun 17, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I have several chicks I got from Ideal in April (hatch date of 4/5/11) and 6 from Rural King, 6 from TSC. They were all doing great up until last week or the week before. They have diarrhea, are slowly wasting, and stand hunched. Those are the only symptoms, and I've been treating for Cocci since Sunday. Shouldn't they be getting better? Some seem to have pulled through, or were never sick, while others are getting sicker and dying. This is not affecting my older birds (8 mos.-2 years) at all. Should I be treating for something else, or switch to Sulmet? (I've been using Corid, 1 tsp. per gallon of water no treats or ACV during treatment.)

My only Black Langshan is dying right now, and I'm going to lose my only Butternut and Buckeye-----I can tell by how hunched and inactive they are this morning.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:I'd separate the sickest, give new medicated water and high energy food, scramble eggs up or something.

3. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I'll try that---although I thought they weren't supposed to have any protein from treats while on the medication? I'm so discouraged. I have had chickens off and on for many years, and never had this problem before. This year is the first time I ordered from a hatchery, though. Before I always bought chciks at TSC and a friend who lives in another town close by. I'm not saying it's the hatchery chicks----they would have probably been sick before this. Just so sad.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Perhaps the reason that the corid isnt working is because the ones that are too sick are too weak to drink it on their own or didnt drink enough of it to be effective.
    Here is the sulmet dosage if you wish to switch: Dosage is the same for the liquid and soluable powder:
    Add 2 tablespoons to each gallon of water for 2 days, then half dosage (1 tablespoon per gallon of water) for 4 days. Excessive dosage can cause toxic reactions. Also, just for your info...there is a 10 day withdrawal period for slaughter. Dont try hatching eggs during medication and for short periods thereafter. Dont mix anything else in the mixture ie...ACV, vitamins etc...

5. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    I would definitely switch to the sulmet immediately. You did not say how long you were treating them with the Corid. The liquid corid I buy is dosed at 2 tsp. per gallon of water (tx dose), not 1 tsp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by