Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Fluffy Feather Farm
12 Years
Jan 26, 2010
Texas, Panhandle
frow.gif
Good Morning everyone!
frow.gif

I finally got one of my "August Mystery Egg Swap" packages in the mail, and I think they're Duck eggs? What do you think? I've never had Ducks before, so I don't know a single thing about them. Thanks for your help.
47807_swap_eggs.jpg

47807_swap_eggs_2.jpg

God Bless

~ Aspen
caf.gif

Hard to say from the pic. Compare to a large or XL chicken egg, if they are bigger than maybe. Many duck eggs tend to have a "rougher" texture on the egg.
Can you find out from your swap folks if anyone included waterfowl? I can understand mystery but at least knowing species would be nice.
lol.png

My duck's eggs are also harder to crack, they seem like they're twice the thickness of a store bought chicken egg.

Quote:
X2
My chickens eggs are also harder to crack than store bought but the duck eggs were something else. Dropped one outside once, not even a crack.

FYI
I saw your other post and I guess mystery really means mystery. I would think that everyone should be at least putting species in with the eggs as hatching time is different. Imagine if you ended up with 6 goose eggs.
ep.gif

Last edited:
The ducks eggs that I have had, have a very different surface texture and feel. They are more like porcelain...not glazed porcelain. And the shape is like what you are showing.

Aren't duck eggs normally larger than chicken eggs? Or maybe that's just Pekin eggs.... Anyway if they are then they wouldn't fit into that carton very well so maybe they ARE chicken eggs...? Just a thought.

Quote:
my ducks eggs feel like porcelen not at all rough

I agree. Ducks lay a thicker protective coating on their eggs so they feel smooth, almost slick. They will have an almost translucent appearance to the shell when compared to a chicken egg and are glossy in appearance. A chicken egg should look more matte in appearance in comparison.

The eggs do have a sort of roughness texture to them. I'm not for sure who the eggs are from, but I know both of my swappers have waterfowl. Here are somemore pictures:

Next to a large chicken egg:
47807_dsc_2300.jpg

47807_dsc_2301.jpg

47807_dsc_2304.jpg

Next to a LF large and medium sized bantam egg:
47807_dsc_2303.jpg

~ Aspen
caf.gif

No I wouldn't say duck egg based on those pics. Unless they are bantam ducks. Because the chicken egg is larger, I would say they are chicken eggs too. I wouldn't think anyone would send bantam duck eggs, from what I recall hatchability is not as high but you never know.
I am going to say chicken eggs.

Back
Top Bottom