Help Please baby chick approx 1 week old sick :(

momd29

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Waterloo, South Carolina
Need some advice. I have a one week old chick who is sick. She had poop stuck to her bottom and I cleaned that off, but when I was cleaning I saw that she had a hard mass under her vent (hard stool).. I don't know what to do.. How can I help this poor baby?

Its apple cider vinegar. 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. You can also put a little vaseline on the bottom so no more poop will stick there.

What I do is turn on the faucet to warm, test water on my wrist and then hold the chick under the gently running warm water (not too cool either) until the poo is softened. Then I work it off with my fingers, then apply Rooster Booster Pick no More Lotion so the other chicks won't peck at the newly washed vent.

Works great! I have to repeat this usually several times for each chick with pasty butt as it tends to recur the next day.

Why do you say the chick is sick? What are the symptoms?

Last edited:
UPDATE:: First off I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who posted.. I was able to get baby chick's bottom cleaned and her back to having normal stools. She is doing well and back to her normal self again.. So thankful to have found not only BYC and the forums but the wonderful caring people here that offered great advice and help in my time of need.. Thank you all again!!

On another note:: We've had the baby chicks for about 4 days now, and I can't believe how much they are growing. We have feathers coming in on most of the chicks wings and they are actually getting bigger. This so far as been an amazing adventure and I can't wait to see where it takes us from here. I am so thankful I chose to have chick-a-dees (chickens) :D <3... They are so full of adventure and spunk.. We were under the impression that we had all females in our 8 chicks that we bought, but now we're not so sure..We're thinking we may have had 3 stow-a-ways in the female pullets.. guess we'll find out when they get a little older.. :D

My baby chick has a lump on the left side of it neck. I noticed it a couple of days ago. It felt like it had a pocket full of grit or food. Today, the lump is still there feels flat but kind of hard with a little gritty feel and it's crop has food in it. Is this lump related to the crop? I took it out of the brooder and brought it inside with a heater and water. It is a little on the lathargic side but still chirps and ran from me when I tried to get it from the brooder but now it flinches when I start to pick it up but the wants to sleep in my hand. What can I do, I don't want my baby to die. Please help.

Back
Top Bottom