Help please! Chicken in shock post surgery

Hashbrownsflock

Hatching
Apr 10, 2024
I have a sapphire gem that had a severe vent prolapse and egg binding corrected with vet surgery yesterday afternoon. Since the procedure, she has seemed to be in shock from everything I have read. Lethargic, won’t move much, sleeping and breathing deeply. I have her in a large dog kennel in a dark room with a space heater. We just successfully tube fed her a mix of her layer feed, water, electrolyte powder and nutridrench and sifted that so it could be sucked up by the syringe we have. We have given her 40ml and she is 5.73 pounds. We plan to feed again in 3 hours. Is there anything else we can do? Any experience with chickens in shock and how long this lasts?

Shock and stress from shock can take anywhere from a few minutes, hours, days, or even weeks to get over. Generally, a few days though is typical.

It sounds to me like you're doing everything perfectly! Temp where she is should be 70-80F. Electrolyte water is great to help her body handle the stress of it.

To get her to eat, you can make a mash out of some grower crumbles but if you don't have any, pellets can work too. Chickens usually go nuts over that. Scrambled eggs is also another nutritious treat they usually gobble up.

Good luck! I hope she is back to normal quickly!!

Back
Top Bottom