Help! Prolapsed vent surgery - Recovery time from anesthesia

Hashbrownsflock

Hatching
Apr 10, 2024
Our sapphire gem Clover had a severe prolapse yesterday due to egg binding. We took her to a vet and had the egg removed and the prolapse corrected. She has a number of stitches to hold the vent in place. Since she woke up from the surgery, she has been very tired. This morning she seems about the same. She was given some sort of narcotic injection for pain right before we brought her home. That was about 4pm yesterday. Is this post op lethargy normal given the timeline so far? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Birds in general don't handle anesthesia well, it can be risky. If you are concerned then I would absolutely call your vet and ask them.
Some antibiotics (which I would assume they prescribed post surgery) can also make them seem tired. And her little body has been through a lot. But your best answers would be from the vet that did the surgery. After investing in the surgery and care, it's perfectly reasonable to call them with questions and concerns. And better safe than sorry.

Birds in general don't handle anesthesia well, it can be risky. If you are concerned then I would absolutely call your vet and ask them.
Some antibiotics (which I would assume they prescribed post surgery) can also make them seem tired. And her little body has been through a lot. But your best answers would be from the vet that did the surgery. After investing in the surgery and care, it's perfectly reasonable to call them with questions and concerns. And better safe than sorry.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I spoke with the vet earlier this morning and honestly they weren’t much help. They also did not prescribe any oral antibiotics as they said they were so limited on what they could give us. Any info on over the counter stuff for that? I have added colloidal silver to her water. I’m thinking now she is in shock from the whole event and surgery. We tube fed her about an hour ago with her layer pellets, water, electrolytes and nutridrench sifted out into a liquid. We did 40ml and she is 5.73 pounds. She is currently in a large dog kennel by a space heater in a dark room. Anything else we can do for her to help her pull through the shock? We plan to tube feed again three hours from the original.

I've no idea why the would not give antibiotics.... that just seems odd. There are rules about animals used for food, but when it's a pet, and most of the time when a chicken sees a vet they are considered a pet, it's not an issue.
Amoxicillin can be used, if you happen to have any, it's out of stock just about everywhere. I did find some here:
https://dambshop.com/collections/kraftdrug/products/aquarium-amoxicillin-500mg-100-capsules
Many of us use fish antibiotics, as we can get them without a vet.
Make sure you give plenty of fluids, you don't want her to get dehydrated. Give them room temperature or slightly warm.

I've no idea why the would not give antibiotics.... that just seems odd. There are rules about animals used for food, but when it's a pet, and most of the time when a chicken sees a vet they are considered a pet, it's not an issue.
Amoxicillin can be used, if you happen to have any, it's out of stock just about everywhere. I did find some here:
https://dambshop.com/collections/kraftdrug/products/aquarium-amoxicillin-500mg-100-capsules
Many of us use fish antibiotics, as we can get them without a vet.
Make sure you give plenty of fluids, you don't want her to get dehydrated. Give them room temperature or slightly warm.
I've had pretty good luck finding fish amoxicillin at pet stores. Might be worth calling and checking a few, OP.

Amoxicillin dosage can very but many give 57 mg per pound twice a day for 7-10 days. You could round it off to 250 mg twice a day. You can tube feed it or give it in a little cooked egg, cream cheese, peanut butter.

I just checked on that site. Yes, they have amox for sale.

Then I checked and saw this review on
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/dambshop.com

"FDA cracks down on Fish Antibiotics

I was looking at the reviews here because i too was going to buy Fish Antibiotics from their website. I read many of the reviews stating their money was taken but no products was shipped. As of December 2023, FDA has cracked down on all antibiotics being sold online for animals. DambShop cannot legally send Fish Mox (most well known brand) to any US resident. Please do not order this item from any shop advertising for US shoppers. I hope they update their website to reflect this information.
Dambshop is associated with Google Shops.

Date of experience: April 09, 2024"

And this, same site:

"A scam

I ordered on March 21st, never received a confirmation email, I emailed the company and called April 2nd, still no response. So I called my bank (fraud department) explain the situation, hopefully I get some results (their good for taking care of veterans)
It's a complete scam. Do not order anything for them. Next step is to inform Google fraud department about the website.

Date of experience: April 04, 2024"

Back
Top Bottom