Stuck egg in vent, causing prolapse. Now trouble passing poop.

Emmaleemendoza

Hatching
Jul 31, 2023
My chicken had an egg stuck in her vent which caused a prolapse. We were able to get the egg out and push the vent back in. It has been two days now and her vent hasn’t Prolapses again. She was doing well with pooping and eating but now she has slowed down with eating and is having a hard time pooping. She will start to poop and when she pushes she will yelp and stop. When we checked her vent there was no prolapse but a build up of poop inside her vent that she isn’t able to push out. How can we help her?

Here is a photo of her egg that was stuck. As mentioned we were able to get the egg out and push her vent back in. But now she is having a hard time pooping.

Attachments

• IMG_7130.jpeg
    IMG_7130.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 29
The tissue is likely inflamed. Her poop may have hardened behind the egg.

Give her molasses and water and soak her in Epsom Salt. Inserting some water based lube might help.

You might consider cutting her feed to reduce her output.

Keeping her in a dark place to prevent her laying until the inflamed tissue resolves.

Get a big ol' syringe and give her an enema to flush out the material.

....I did this and it helped my girl immensely. I stuck some Oragel in her vent. It's a pain killer mean for the mouth and my vet said it didn't have aspartame in it. But it does only work for a few hours at most. But it was long enough to help her pass a massive stool.

I think this is exactly what my hen is currently experiencing! Her prolapse is staying in but she is struggling to poo it seems. I seperated her and started her on Tylan in case she had an infection from the egg since she did have a soft shell I had to pull out (no yoke)

How is your hen?

The tissue is likely inflamed. Her poop may have hardened behind the egg.

Give her molasses and water and soak her in Epsom Salt. Inserting some water based lube might help.

You might consider cutting her feed to reduce her output.

Keeping her in a dark place to prevent her laying until the inflamed tissue resolves.

Get a big ol' syringe and give her an enema to flush out the material.

....I did this and it helped my girl immensely. I stuck some Oragel in her vent. It's a pain killer mean for the mouth and my vet said it didn't have aspartame in it. But it does only work for a few hours at most. But it was long enough to help her pass a massive stool.
What do you use for the enema content?

Back
Top Bottom