HELP, please. Concrete floor with topsoil as litter? No roof on end of coop ok??

Make my coop smaller, without outer area (still on concrete)?

• Yes

• No

• Depends

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would enclose the whole area as you’re planning and build a separate henhouse inside of it. The reason for this is the uncovered area over the concrete. This will cause water buildup from rain - especially if you cover the concrete with deep litter or mulch. The chickens will need to have a dry place to sleep and dust bathe even when this floor is seeping wet from rain. I also worry a bit about mold if it can’t dry fast enough.

The coop is technically made up of a run (outdoor space) and a henhouse (very safe sleeping area).

I think you’ve built an amazing run. You just need a little henhouse area that is draftless where they can be dry and out of the cold wind.

Keep up everything you have and build them some boxes off the ground with roosting bars :)

Hi. I use pine wood chips in the coop which is on concrete as well as in the run which is dirt. This looks good and it's never too big! Chicken math is very real.

Thanks for everyone's advice and support lol I will do a lot more research on building a draft free house inside. Glad you guys think it's decent and NOT too big. He's still asleep lol so I haven't made him want to kill me yet. We could have it finished today or the next, excluding a house inside. But, it's got a little closet door/ storage shed built inside that I can easily walk into ..it just may be hard to clean. I was considering taking off the door and putting up curtains or something. Put the nest boxes in there.
But, they'll sleep and nest in there probably. Is it horrible if they sleep aahs lay eggs in the same areas? I'll hand choices for them, just may be temporary ones at first or few to begin with.
Learning as we go is rough lol

There's no reason to take down what you have there, it's excellent form what I can see.
Does any water run in from the part not covered?

It's been hard to tell because it hasn't rained lately and the concrete dries really quickly. I was thinking keep that area just concrete but I know the summer it'll be hot and winter too cold. Ugh.

Main rain I wanted it smaller and for some of his hard work to be taken down ... scared of the rain causing problems.

Hi. I use pine wood chips in the coop which is on concrete as well as in the run which is dirt. This looks good and it's never too big! Chicken math is very real.
I bought some large pine shavings from Amazon and used them indoors with the brooder and thought I had an allergic reaction. Ugh.
Where do you get yours from?
Thsnks

I would enclose the whole area as you’re planning and build a separate henhouse inside of it. The reason for this is the uncovered area over the concrete. This will cause water buildup from rain - especially if you cover the concrete with deep litter or mulch. The chickens will need to have a dry place to sleep and dust bathe even when this floor is seeping wet from rain. I also worry a bit about mold if it can’t dry fast enough.

The coop is technically made up of a run (outdoor space) and a henhouse (very safe sleeping area).

I think you’ve built an amazing run. You just need a little henhouse area that is draftless where they can be dry and out of the cold wind.

Keep up everything you have and build them some boxes off the ground with roosting bars :)

Thank you for the tips.
I'd like to attach a picture of the storage place That's inside the run. We want removable roosts and boxes to easily clean. But I think everything could fit inside it easily enough. Maybe keep the door open or remove it and put up curtain

Back
Top Bottom