Help please!! Day 23 chicken eggs. Temp was to low

henwiggy

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2020
Hi Everyone! This is my first hatch and sadly we realized yesterday(day 22) that our temp was to low šŸ˜”. We thought the temp was right because I calibrated our mercury in glass thermometer in a cup of ice water and adjusted temp accordingly. Because hatch was delayed we double checked with hubby's infrared temp gun and the eggs were at 97.5 ish (2 degrees to low) for the whole time. We have increased temp to 99.5.

Today is day 23 and I did candle some (even though I know I'm not supposed to mess with things during lockdown) because I wanted to see if they were viable. There is veining throughout and slight movement in the ones that are light enough to see into. Is day 25 my latest possible hatch day? I have zero pips and cant hear peeping. And didnt see any internal pips when candling.

I would appreciate any feedback! So glad to have BYC to refer to for all of this!!

Thanks! I will do for sure. I am so hopeful. Just wondering what day I should give up on them.
Don't give up! I had 8 shipped eggs that incubated at a constant 100 degrees, and when I picked up the last "dud" to toss it on day 24, it cheeped at me! If the egg isn't smelling bad, keep the faith! That chick finally made it out (with my help) on day 25 and is now running around the run, developing into a gorgeous little, normal .......rooster. (cries) But he hatched!

Don't give up! I had 8 shipped eggs that incubated at a constant 100 degrees, and when I picked up the last "dud" to toss it on day 24, it cheeped at me! If the egg isn't smelling bad, keep the faith! That chick finally made it out (with my help) on day 25 and is now running around the run, developing into a gorgeous little, normal .......rooster. (cries) But he hatched!
Awesome. I will keep the faith then!šŸ¤ž Sorry about the rooster luck but thanks for the success story

I am SO SORRY! Our incubator is set at 37.5 degrees celsius and we have very good results from that. I am not sure what the calculation is to turn this into Farenheit, but I do know that 100 farenheit is boiling point for water, so I think you may have cooked them! They should be at marginally below blood temperature for humans, which is 37.6 degrees celsius. Humidity levels are also key. A commercial incubator will have a water bowl, which you top up during the incubation period and then double in the last two days before hatching as too little humidity makes the shells and membranes too hard to crack for the tiny beaks. You have to manage this all yourself if they are incubated. Normally a broody hen will provide the right temperature for the eggs and her body moisture provides humidity. She will also help the egg to hatch, by pecking at the shell from outside when she feels movement.
Don't crucify yourself with blame. Just follow the instructions on the incubator and try again!

I am SO SORRY! Our incubator is set at 37.5 degrees celsius and we have very good results from that. I am not sure what the calculation is to turn this into Farenheit, but I do know that 100 farenheit is boiling point for water, so I think you may have cooked them! They should be at marginally below blood temperature for humans, which is 37.6 degrees celsius. Humidity levels are also key. A commercial incubator will have a water bowl, which you top up during the incubation period and then double in the last two days before hatching as too little humidity makes the shells and membranes too hard to crack for the tiny beaks. You have to manage this all yourself if they are incubated. Normally a broody hen will provide the right temperature for the eggs and her body moisture provides humidity. She will also help the egg to hatch, by pecking at the shell from outside when she feels movement.
Don't crucify yourself with blame. Just follow the instructions on the incubator and try again!
Thanks for the reply. 37.5C is 99.5F. I've had them at 97.5 so 2 degrees F to low the whole time until day 22. I have had the humidity within range as well. I followed all the instructions, just trusted my thermometer and it was off unfortunately.

I don't think you are supposed to see veining that far along in development (even if lowered temps). The chick should be fully formed and look like a big black glob when you candle it.... if I remember. Maybe yours stopped development somewhere and is no longer viable? Didn't mean to be a downer and rain on your parade, hahaha. But hey, I could be totally wrong here but at Day 23 as of today, they should already be fully formed.

I don't think you are supposed to see veining that far along in development (even if lowered temps). The chick should be fully formed and look like a big black glob when you candle it.... if I remember. Maybe yours stopped development somewhere and is no longer viable? Didn't mean to be a downer and rain on your parade, hahaha. But hey, I could be totally wrong here but at Day 23 as of today, they should already be fully formed.
Okay, good to know about the veining thank you. Not raining on my parade. It is what it is unfortunately

Okay, good to know about the veining thank you. Not raining on my parade. It is what it is unfortunately
Don't give up hope though, seeing how your temp was set low..... give it more days. You can do a Google Image search on chicken egg candling development and see what 'Day' your eggs look to be at.

Back
Top Bottom