Help Please - Doxycycline Dosage

My vet prescribed 20 mg doxycycline hyclate per 2.2 pounds of body weight 2xs a day for 3 days.

Other pub med articles have it administered only once a day, "at a dose of 20 mg/kg/d for 3 consecutive days of doxycycline was recommended to treat infections in laying hens."

If mixing with water then add citric acid as it helps it mix the doxycycline in water and is somewhat synergistic. I do not know how much to put in water and no one ever answered this question. I do know the water has to be changed daily but you would already be giving them fresh water daily.

Hi this post is old but.....I am giving Doxcyline starting today for three days. Wondered how your chickens made out on it. Thanks. mg

My ducks had to stay on doxycycline for 2 weeks (the 3 days we tried did not work). Doxycycline is a miracle drug worked better then anything we tried (Tylan, penicillin, enroflaxcin, etc . . ,) This post was not mine I just chimed in with being careful about dosing but wanted to let you know it worked extremely well and I love this drug as it is so broad spectrum.

Thank you so much for your response! Today was my chickens third day and their improvement was so small and I was completely heartbroken. I am going to continue on until the doxycycline runs out which is about 9 more days. Thank you for giving me some hope!
My ducks had to stay on doxycycline for 2 weeks (the 3 days we tried did not work). Doxycycline is a miracle drug worked better then anything we tried (Tylan, penicillin, enroflaxcin, etc . . ,) This post was not mine I just chimed in with being careful about dosing but wanted to let you know it worked extremely well and I love this drug as it is so broad spectrum.
your res

Update:
Day 6 of Doxycycline. Btw, this doxy is from my stock pile of human antibiotics for emergencies. They are 100mg capsules and I dose them as close as possible based on their weights. Some days one or two of them refuse to eat most of the food with the meds in it, or one of the others steal it. It’s terribly difficult! I just discovered today that adding it to their fermented food is by far the easiest. My life will be so much easier now!
Results on day 6:
-The sickest one (very surprised she survived), that was gurgling so loud I don’t know how the others slept at night, is at least 90% healed! (Knot)
-The second sickest seems 20% or less healed. (Noodle)
-The third sickest seems 100% healed! (Red)
-The least sick seems about 80% healed! (Doll)
That being said, sometimes they seem 100% better and then I hear small gurgles and a few sneezes, so I go back and forth between hope and giving up. I keep it firmly in my mind what MaxwellHouse said “...my ducks had to stay on doxycycline for two weeks...” and I stay the course.

Hi everyone! I'm looking to give this to my bantam that weighs .10gms. Any suggestions on how much soluble I should give her since she's so small and really doesn't drink much? Can it be given orally or soaked in treats?

Hi everyone! I'm looking to give this to my bantam that weighs .10gms. Any suggestions on how much soluble I should give her since she's so small and really doesn't drink much? Can it be given orally or soaked in treats?
I was going to update today on my chickens and saw your post. I ended up giving mine Denagard with the doxy for three more days. I thought it didn’t work because they were still gurgling, but 2 days after I stopped the meds, it was like magic and they were all 100% healed. I had given up! I highly recommend the Denagard. Message me if you want me to send you some. It was miserable finding a place to purchase it and it was also very pricey for the big bottle when you only need a little. The dosage for the doxy was 25 to 50mg per kilogram of body weight. I mixed that and the Denagard in their fermented feed and had zero problems with them eating it all.

I was going to update today on my chickens and saw your post. I ended up giving mine Denagard with the doxy for three more days. I thought it didn’t work because they were still gurgling, but 2 days after I stopped the meds, it was like magic and they were all 100% healed. I had given up! I highly recommend the Denagard. Message me if you want me to send you some. It was miserable finding a place to purchase it and it was also very pricey for the big bottle when you only need a little. The dosage for the doxy was 25 to 50mg per kilogram of body weight. I mixed that and the Denagard in their fermented feed and had zero problems with them eating it all.

We're working on healing a chicken that had coccidiosis, and while she was on the upswing she seems to have taken a turn within the last couple of days. So we're starting doxy today. Can you tell me why you made the call to give Denagard in conjunction with doxy to your chickens, and what its purpose is?

I read that the Denaguard was the best and given in conjunction with the Doxy, was nothing short of a miracle. I found that to be the case. I am not thinking that would work for coccidiosis though, but is more towards respiratory. I would suggest also looking into MMS and CDS, as shocking as that may be!

Back
Top Bottom